16: Treason

(Another super long chapter! But its super worth it. Note that this one switches alot between the past and present, of the suspected night Akechi spent with Ren ;)

So keep that in mind as you read!

Also! Just remember I do my best to make everything as pure to the story as possible, but some details have been changed/edited for the purpose of the story. Just a reminder :3)

(Ren's P.O.V, flashback)

We hadn't stopped for what seemed like a good hour. The needy push and pull between us that had been so impossible to grasp for so long was now such a fleeting reality.

I could tell Akechi didn't want this to end. Even as we took turns switching places and positions.

"Haa~~haaa~~"

Akechi had hardly spoken a word since we started. Still feverish, I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand. I stared at my friend as he panted, holding himself on all fours above me as I laid on the floor of my dusty room.

Physically, we were both satisfied.

But it was clear that something inside Akechi still remained unfulfilled.

I could see it in his eyes. This tormenting anguish that he just wouldn't speak of..

I couldn't understand why. Was this the bi-product of these mistakes he'd mentioned before?

I rose my fingers of my right hand to stroke his cheekbone affectionately, tilting my head to the side curiously.

"What can I do....to make you smile?"

----------------------

(Ren's P.O.V, present)

Just as I had suspected, the next evening, Akechi didn't show up at the courthouse to infiltrate Sae Niijima's palace.

"I haven't heard from him since yesterday." I muttered quietly, that unsure feeling still tugging at me since I discovered Akechi's phone outside of LeBlanc this morning.

Ryuji sighed in frustration.

"We don't have time to wait for him. Maybe he's just busy with work."

Makoto crossed her arms, weighing the chance that Akechi was just skipping out.

"We saw Akechi's stance on this yesterday. I doubt he just up and decided to leave us hanging."

I nodded to Makoto.

"I second that."

Ann and Haru looked to eachother worriedly.

"Could something...really have happened to him?"

Yusuke sighed at the anxious question. He gave his answer some thought, evident by the hand he placed under his chin before responding.

"He is a man of power and status in the media. I doubt he walks around completely unguarded."

Morgana and I glanced at eachother, knowing full well that was the case.

Futaba sighed lightly.

"Well...if we can't go in without him, maybe it's best we just wait him out."

I met eyes with the rest of my group. Waiting this out another day and determining a plan B incase Akechi truly was in trouble..

They were right. That was the best course of action.