Chapter 24

Cole's POV: ( 30 minutes earlier)

As i was walking towards Ally's house, i could immediately tell that something wasn't right. First of all, there was a lot more screaming then normal, second, i could smell smoke, and third, i could hear frantic footsteps which probably meant that Jason was running around. And trust me when i say this, Jason NEVER runs.

I wonder what's happening in there. Only one way to find out.

I open the door and my eyes immediately start to water from the smoke.

" WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN HERE?!" I yell.

" I'LL TELL YOU LATER, BUT RIGHT NOW YOU NEED TO HELP ME PUT OUT THIS FIRE!" Jason shouts, motioning for me to follow him to the kitchen.

As i walk into to the kitchen i see that half of it is engulfed in flames, the microwave and all of the cabinets surrounding it are almost completely gone, and the air is almost completely grey with smoke.

" WHERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS?!" I ask, remembering that putting wet towels on a fire is better then only putting water.

" I DUNNO, CHECK THE FRIDGE!" Jason replies, running around the kitchen.

Seriously? The fridge?! How dumb is this kid?

" WHY WOULD THERE BE TOWELS IN THE FRIDGE?!" I question, running into the bathroom and checking for towels.

" BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE MOM PUTS EVERYTHING!" He tells me.

Please remind me why i thought that Jason was going to be helpful. I sigh and continue searching Catherine's house for towels. I can argue with Jason later, right now i need to focus on putting out this fire.

" WE NEED TO CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!" Jason calls out from the other room.

" NO SHIT SHERLOCK!" I yell back, abandoning my search for towels and taking out my phone.But before i dial 911, Jason shouts:

" I'VE ALREADY GOT THEM ON THE PHONE, TRY LOOKING FOR THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER!"

" ON IT!" I shout back, running down the hall and checking all the rooms.

But as i open the door to the room at the end of the hall, i see a figure slumped on the floor.

Shit.

I immediately recognize who it is, no one else could look so perfect even when their lying on the floor.

" ALLY!" I shout, sprinting towards her.

Nononono, this can't be happening right now. Ally's already been through so much.

I pick up her now limp body and rush towards the front door. I start to cough and sputter, i've already inhaled way to much smoke. I feel my eyes trying to close and my body starting to sway, but somehow i don't fall over. I have to stay strong, for Ally.

Right as i exit the house i hear the sound of approaching sirens and i see a firetruck pulling up the driveway. Jason comes out the house and stands next to me and Ally.

" You okay Cole?" He asks.

" Ye-" I start to say as i try to nod my head, but i can't.

I feel myself starting to shut down, but before i can even process whats happening, i collapse.

My vision starts to blur and everything turns into distorted sounds and color.

Black starts to cloud my vision and i start choking.

I'm sorry Ally, the one person left that actually cares about me, and i failed.

Just like always.

~~~~~~~~~

( Present time)

I wake up hours later in a bright white room with a faint beeping noise coming from one of the few machines next to me.

What the hell happened? Why am i in a hospital? How did i even get here?

I have so many questions right now, last i remember i was heading to Ally's house.

I look around the room but i can't find anyone else.

All of the sudden, the door bursts open and a nurse runs in.

" S-sorry, i-i didn't know that you were awake. P-please don't tell my boss t-that i wasn't here, ii-i just had to-"He rambles before i cut her off.

" It's fine, i don't really care whether your here or not. Just tell me why i'm here." I demand.

" I will in a minute, just let me introduce myself first." He says, " I'm Phillip, the nurse whose supposed to keep you updated on whats happening. I've only been working here for a couple of months so-"

" Cut the crap." I interrupt, " Tell me why i'm here."

" Okay fine. I don't know the whole story but from what i've been told you were in a fire and you collapsed moments after exiting the building because you inhaled to much smoke. You were in the building with Miss Johnson and Mr Brown and you helped carry Miss Johnson out of the building after you found that she had passed out. However, since you helped Miss Johnson your body was carrying extra weight and that combined with-" I kind of zoned on what Philip was saying after i heard that Ally had passed out.

" Is Ally okay?" I ask.

" It's complicated." Philip replies, a slightly nervous expression on his face.

" What do you mean it's complicated?!" I question, raising my voice, " It seems simple to me, either she's okay or she's not."

" Mr Weston, please lower your voice. And no, it's not simple at all. Since Ally already had weakened lungs due to the previous months she spent in the hospital, the smoke pushed her past the breaking point."

And that's when it all comes rushing back, the fire, trying to find a way to put it out, seeing Ally collapsed out on the floor, and passing out.

" The breaking point?" I repeat, my voice a mix of anger and fear.

" Because her lungs were weaker then normal, they couldn't handle the smoke like anyone else could've. Even you ended up passing out and your lungs were in good condition. If you would like then i could take you to Miss Johnson's room and her doctor could explain more about whats happening." Philip informs me.

" Is that even a question?" I ask.

" Your right, you probably shouldn't g-" Phillip starts.

" Nothing is going to stop me from seeing Ally." I state.

" Okay, okay. Geez, kids these days." Phillip mumbles.

I choose to ignore what Phillip just said, i have more important things to focus on right now then an un-helpful nurse.

I need to know that Ally is going to be okay.