Chapter four: Untitled

Third person

Lillian froze, a sob escaped her throat as Alexis felt nauseous. Nauseous at the sight before her. Nauseous at the endless possibilities, endless outcomes, endless explanations to what was in this box and why.

"I can explain!" Lillian screeched, tears running from her eyes.

"Okay. Explain." Alexis knew the explanation was bad but she knew that Lillian was far from homicidal and closer to suicidal.

"I wanted to die. It was a week after I was kicked out of my parents home, and my mother called me saying she wanted to see me. I immediately went thinking they were going to accept me and apologize for how they behaved.." Lillian hiccupped, tears flowing freely, "She handed me a orange envelope full of money and said I forgot some things in my room. I had ten minutes to get it all before she threw me out. I got my favorite stuffed rabbit from my grandpapa and a gold ring my grandma got me. I had time to spare and I remember thinking I had nothing to live for, nothing to loose. So I snuck into my parents room, and went to where I knew my dad kept it. I got it and left their house. I wrote the note and everything. I was in the woods and was going to do it, but I just couldn't."

Alexis stood rigid, she knew Lillian was telling the truth. She looked at the rusted pocket knife covered in dried blood, the suicide letter had drops of rusty colored blood on it, and the shiny glint of the gun that reflected in the sunlight flooding through the window.

Alexis pushed the box away, standing up walking to the window. She was freaked out but knew Lillian needed comfort. Her sobs were heard, echoing around the room. Alexis pulled Lillian to her chest and kissed her forehead.

Lillian sobbed for what seemed like hours, and it probably was.

"Lil, we need to throw that box and it's contents into the river." Alexis said, not suggesting it but demanding it.

Lillian nodded, her face covered in tear streaks and snot dried up around her nose. Alexis still thought she looked beautiful, with her red, puffy eyes and shuddering body.

"Go get cleaned up baby. I'll get this ready and we'll leave." Alexis said, standing up pulling Lillian with her.

Lillian nodded, scurrying off to the bathroom and the faucet turned on seconds later.

Alexis Cooper

My heart thudded in my chest, as I grabbed the suicide letter. Part of me was curious, another part of me terrified of what I'd read. I closed the steel box, and carefully put it inside a grocery bag.

Lillian came back a few minutes later. We left, walking through the woods towards the park. Lillian laced her fingers with mine, our clasped hands swinging silently. We got inside my car, and had the bag safely tucked into the backseat.

I drove to the river, and I parked by the stone bridge. We got out, and walked towards the bridge hand in hand. She took the bag from me and dropped it over the edge.

A smile broke out on her face. A teeming, teary, raw smile. It was so wide, that it almost blinded me. I felt the corners of my mouth tug upward.

"I feel free!" She shouted, twirling down the bridge.

I trailed after her, smiling. She was my happiness. I followed her til she got to the end of the bride, and climbed onto the ledge. She took a seat and patted the spot next to her, where she wanted me to sit.

I smiled, cautiously climbing over the ledge and wrapped my arm around her. We sat like that for what seemed like forever. Until a voice made us jump and almost fall into the rushing river below the bridge.

"Y'all are adorable." She said, holding the guys hand next to her.

"Thank you." I said, as Lillian hid her face in my shoulder, blushing.

We turned around, standing on the bridge now. The girl was Asian with long black hair that had one streak on hot pink in it, and small, round, electric blue eyes. The boy had tanned olive skin, hair so blonde it looked white, athletic build, and brown eyes that shone with happiness.

"I'm Dimitri and this is Anna Lee." The boy said, sending us a smile.

"I'm Alexis and this is Lillian." I said, holding Lillian's hand. She smiled, an actual smile, and she looked beautiful.

"I've always wanted gay friends." Anna Lee said, "Can I have your numbers?"

I chuckled, giving her both of our numbers. Lillian smirked at me, "So you know my number by heart?"

I looked bashful, and scratched the back of my neck. Anna Lee smiled at this, and complimented us again before walking away, tugging a smiling Dimitri away. 

"I'll take you out for ice cream then take you home." I said, opening the car door for you.

"You know its like the middle of October, and it's Autmun right?" Lil said, smiling.

"It was hot as hell today though." I remarked, causing her to roll her eyes.

I smirked, turning the radio up. Lillian picked up my phone, scrolled through the music, and settled on Fuck You by Lilly Allen.

I sung with her, nodding my head along to the beat. We stopped and The Ice Cream Palace, and got out. We went inside and I bought her a sugar waffle cone sundae and she smiled at me.

"Thank you, Alexis."

I smiled, "Anything for you."

She blushed, and we ate our ice cream in silence. Not awkward but very comfortable one.

I dropped her off at home, and she smiled at me. I wrapped my arms around her in a hug and she kissed my cheek before leaving the car and entering the house. I drove myself home, and Brandy attacked me as usual.

"Hey Brandy." I greeted, walking towards the kitchen.

Leon was singing Flawless Remix, frosting a cake. He was in the middle of the Nicki Minaj verse when he turned and saw me trying not to laugh.

"Fucksake, stop sneaking up on me Alexis. How was your day?"

I laughed, "It was fine. What about you?"

"Great. I made 1,000 cookies in the shape of Canadian leaves."

I laughed, "You're crazy."

"I know. Baking is life. I even made a cake and a batch of cookies for Brandy's daycare." Leon said, finishing the cake with chocolate shavings.

"I want a smoothie." I said, opening the refrigerator.

I got the yogurt, strawberries, mangoes, and ice. Leon handed me the blender, before cutting the mangoes for me. I knew pops would want some. I added the ice and the yogurt before cutting up the strawberries and blending it together with the mango in one bowl.

Leon had cooked some homemade pizza, and cake. I made the drinks, and Joseph came home right on time. He changed into something more comfortable and we ate in silence.

The chicken spinach pizza was my favorite. We ate the cake with Leon's favorite ice cream, which was Moose Tracks. We talked about our days and I made up shit since I skipped school.

I ended up texting Lillian until I fell asleep.