Chapter 15- Beds Are For Sleeping

Dolores woke up cold and by herself in the large bed. Well, she wasn't by herself in the bed, Five was standing to reach the extra wall space but Dolores was too tired to realize it. But that didn't mean she was tired enough to not realize that Five wasn't where he was when she first fell asleep. She called out to him softly, not bothering to open her eyes.

"I'm right here, baby." Dolores let out a small hum to let him know she had heard him before shifting. She jumped when something brushed against her collar bone, bringing a hand to it she was met with the feeling of cold metal. She followed the chain with her finger until she was met with the familiar feel of her ring. She smiled, tiredly. Five had made a necklace for her, just like he said. Dolores was excited to learn about them and now she had one of her own. But this one was better than the other necklaces she had seen in their travels because Five had made it. Dolores yawned, unintentionally letting out a small squeak.

"You're not doing it right," Dolores said, finally looking up at her husband. Five stopped and looked at the equation and then back down to her.

"Doing what?"

"You said beds were for sleeping. Not standing." Five chuckled.

"I needed more space to write." Dolores looked at him in confusion before looking around the room. Sure enough, the walls were filled with white chalk. She sat up to get a better look at the scribbled numbers.

"Will you fall?" She asked worriedly. Five shook his head.

"Promise?" She asked, holding out her pinky. Five sat down on the bed, dropping the chalk to link their pinkies together. Both of them placed a kiss on their knuckles to seal it. It was something Five had taught her that she came to enjoy.

'A promise is something sacred. It can't be broken. Okay?' Dolores stared at his out-stretched pinky in worry, thinking he wanted her to cut it off to seal the deal. She knew that this could end up like the whole 'offering his hand' fiasco but she ignored it. Five stared blankly at her before grabbing her hand and linking their pinkies together.

'Like this. See?" Dolores nodded, unlinking, and then linking their fingers together, just to be sure.

'And then you do this. To seal the deal." Five brought his lips to his hand, Dolores watched in closely before doing the same.

'I promise that I'll take care of you, Dolores. I love you.'

'I promise that..." Dolores pondered for a moment, "that I love you more and... I'll take care of you too.' This was the closest thing to vows that the two of them got. Not that either of them cared, Dolores didn't know what a vow even was and Five was too in love to care about tradition.

"Promise," Five repeated.

"Are you feeling any better?" Dolores moved the blanket off her legs to examine the bandage. There was some red seeping through the wrap and it felt a little sore but it wasn't bad.

"I guess."

"You guess?" Five mocked an offense causing Dolores to giggle and gently shove him. Five caught her hand and brought it to his lips in a kiss. 

"I love you," he sighed.

"I love you too," Dolores said with a bright smile.

•••••

Five had returned to his spot on the bed as Dolores watched. Her eyes scanned the long equations, checking for mistakes. Dolores may not understand what the various symbols meant but she was weirdly good at catching when something looked off. Just as she tried to explain to Five before they time-traveled to 2019. Dolores didn't mind it but she could tell it irked Five. But a lot of things irked him so she brushed it aside.