Chapter 4- Ladybug

Days had soon turned into weeks, then months, and eventually a year. One year in the apocalypse was a lot but being with each other made it easier for Five and Ellie. She had gotten used to being around 'Dolores Two' so Five was looking in her direction as much as she hated it. Their relationship had changed too, not in a romantic way, much to her dismay, they entrusted each other with everything. Everything felt right. Ellie had nearly forgotten she would eventually wake up and disappear, leaving Five by himself. Until she began to flicker away. 

The day had started normal and the pair had begun to walk again, following the endless road. There wasn't much conversation, they walked in comfortable silence. Ellie looked down at her hands as a familiar feeling rushed over her.

"No," she muttered. It was so quiet but Five had heard her anyway. He quickly turned back, focusing his gaze on Delores Two.

"What?"

"I, I think I'm waking up," Ellie said, watching her hand disappear and reappear. Five's expression dropped, he didn't want to be left here by himself. He had grown very fond of Ellie, he was sure he was in love with her. She couldn't leave. Not like he did.

"When will you come back?" Tears filled the boy's eyes but he tried not to show it, Ellie was too distracted to notice. 

"I, I don't know," Ellie wasn't like that, she let the tears run free on her face, she didn't bother to cover up her voice crack. 

"Please don't cry. It'll be okay. You always come back, right?" Five didn't know if he was trying to convince himself or Ellie that everything would, indeed, be okay.

"Yes, but-"

"Then do that, come back to me when you can," Five knew her time was running up. His heart broke at her next words.

"I'm sorry." And she was gone, leaving the boy by himself.

Ellie awoke in a cold sweat with tears streaming down her face. Looking around she couldn't remember where she was. It wasn't until she saw a picture of her grandfather on the wall when she remembered. With a sigh of relief, she got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom, stopping when she found a mirror.

She looked the same. She hadn't realized after spending so much time in the apocalypse that she hadn't aged. Her eyes and face were red and puffy from crying but she didn't care. The only thing she cared about was Five. She didn't know how time moves differently between her sleep and real life. It seemed inconsistent which only made it harder to figure out. Looking back she read the clock.

8:53 a.m.

She had slept for nearly twelve hours, maybe each hour represented a month but that wouldn't check out with her first trip there and back with Five there. Ellie cursed and changed her outfit, making herself look more presentable. She packed her bag and slowly trudged down the stairs when her stomach let out a noise. She hadn't felt hungry in a year, it was like she was learning everything again.

•••••

Ellie's father had come to pick her up around lunchtime and was quick to see she wasn't herself.

"What's wrong, ladybug?" he asked. Ellie shrugged. She was still having trouble adjusting to life outside of the apocalypse. She had also tried to walk through a wall one too many times and provided herself a nice headache.

"I don't know. I think I'm just tired," she muttered. Her father glanced through the rearview mirror at his daughter with a frown but he didn't press. After dealing with the girl's mother he knew better. The rest of the ride was silent as they made their way back home. It was a rather quiet day, there weren't a lot of cars on the road despite it being rush hour. Ellie stared out the window with a blank expression. Depression had taken over her, the thought that she had left Five by himself made the tears return. It was torture. Her father kept looking back in concern for his daughter, he didn't know what to do. Ellie was usually a happy person. So caught up in his thoughts he hadn't noticed the car speeding towards them.

Two years Five had been stuck in the apocalypse, one year without the real Dolores. He was beginning to lose hope that she would ever come back and a part of him felt stupid for thinking she would. His father was right, there was no point in wasting time with relationships that were bound to never work. He didn't blame her for not coming back, no one would want to be stuck here forever but it still hurt. He had grown to like her, a lot and he hated himself for it.

He propped Dolores Two next to him as he stared into the fire with the same empty expression he always bore. He hasn't smiled since she left.

"I've lost hope, Dolores. I don't think she's coming back," he threw his head in his hands. He promised himself he wouldn't cry about it anymore. He lied.  Once again, he cried himself to sleep, not even bothering to eat.

•••••

Five shot awake, usually he would have nightmares that would force him awake in the middle of the night. This time was different. It wasn't a bad dream, it was a gust of wind. He squinted, trying to make out the dark shadow that seemed to grow with every passing second. There was a flash of light that nearly blinded him and then the mass was gone. A girl lay in its place.

He got up quickly and made his way to her.  Maybe he hadn't lost hope after all.

"Hello?" He could faintly see her head shake. He helped her sit up, the darkness made it difficult to make out any defining features of the girl.

"Can you tell me your name?" He asked. The girl shook her head.

"What's a name?" Five froze, he recognized that voice.

"It's... what you're called. I'm Five, do you remember me?" Tears filled his eyes again. She had to remember. Maybe he was dreaming, maybe she wasn't even there.

"Ladybug..." she dragged out. Five shook his head, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"No, not ladybug. Dolores. That's your name."

"What's a name?" She asked, and then she went limp in his arms.