Chapter 11- A Step Closer

Dolores hadn't meant to fall asleep. She was going to wait until Lance had fallen asleep so she could slip out but after she had eaten and sat in the bed with Roscoe, her eyelids got heavier until she was finally asleep. 

Dolores couldn't remember a time where she had a dream. When she slept there was only darkness that's how it always was. But tonight her dreams consisted of Five. It was all the same, she would be so close and then he'd disappear in a blue mist. Over and over again she was so close to getting him it was exhausting but she kept trying and trying until she woke up.

She woke up more exhausted than before she closed her eyes. Looking to her left she saw Roscoe on his back with his legs in the air, he was panting heavily and his tongue was hanging out. Dolores wondered if all dogs slept like that or if Roscoe was just weird.

Slowly, she dragged herself out of bed in the same clothes she had left the hospital in. Looking around it didn't seem like Lance was prepared to bring someone into his apartment but Dolores didn't mind. She wasn't planning on staying.

She found Lance in the kitchen cooking something. Looking out the window she could see it was early morning. Lance had heard her and turned around.

"I have to leave for work in a couple of minutes. Will you be okay by yourself?" Dolores nodded, too tired to speak. She feared if she did she her voice would crack and she would break down and cry. What she didn't understand was why Lance didn't think she'd be okay by herself. Sure, she wasn't going to stay but she was fifty-eight-years-old and fully capable of taking care of herself.

"Good. I'll be back during my lunch break to check on you. Feel free to take a look around, you seemed awfully tired yesterday so I skipped the tour part," there was an awkward pause as the pair stared blankly at each other, "yeah... There are books in the living area, feel free to help yourself." Dolores bit the inside of her cheek and pushed some hair out of her face. Five used to read to her. She didn't know how to do it herself. She had tried many times but started to feel bad and stopped forcing Five to teach her. She knew she'd regret it in the long run but hearing Five read to her was something she enjoyed. His voice was so calming and soothing that she could sit and listen to it for hours.

"Okay." Lance packed up the food in Tupperware and left for work, leaving Dolores and Roscoe by themselves. Dolores paced around the living room as the small dog watched her intently. Just as she turned around to resume her back-and-forth path she noticed a book lying on the coffee table. The letters on the cover were all scrambled to her but she recognized the picture of the woman on the cover. It was Vanya, Five's sister. Grabbing the book she held it tightly to her chest. Maybe she could find a clue. Maybe it would lead her to Five. Dolores started on page one, she didn't know the majority of the words but she could make out key words like Five and Umbrella. Umbrellas were the main thing, pictures of them were scattered in the book and Dolores knew it had to be a symbol for something. She was so caught up in the book that she didn't notice the door open.

Lance watched as Dolores flipped through the book. He could tell she wasn't reading it but he noticed as she would stop in certain places with a small smile. He watched her expression change as she flicked through the pages. He studied her carefully as he remembered what happened earlier at work.

•••••

"Uh, can I help you?" Lance had just started his lunch break and was on his way to his apartment, to check on Ellie. Come to think about it he couldn't remember using her name or asking her what she thought it was. He knew he had to use her fake name but he only knew her as Ellie. Lance stared down at the schoolboy expectantly and then to the round object in his hand. He was about the same age as Ellie.