For the First Time in Forever

Kristen's POV

A few weeks later I received the news of being officially cast as Anna. I finally got to be a Disney princess! Who could imagine this for a girl from Detroit? Idina naturally got the role of playing the Snow Queen — at that time already my sister in the script, and it was announced that Jennifer Lee was going to co-direct with Chris. Working with Jen and Chris was such wonderful experiences, because they were always so cooperative. I told them I wanted my character Anna to be a role model for my ten-year-old self, which meant a princess that weren't graceful at all. I needed her to be the kind of bubbly, weird and corky girl you saw in life. Still, none of us had any idea how the film would turn out to be. After all, we were still at the very early stage of production.

"Hi Kristen, nice to meet you!" Jen smiled warmly as I stepped into the recording studio. "We just finished the recording session with Idina, you wanna see what we got so far?"

Inside the booth, Idina was happily waving to me through the glass. "Of course!" I said without hesitation.

Jen pressed the "play" button and Idina's soft, seductive voice went, "Evening, gentlemen, why are you on my mountain?" After a few lines she chuckled, "What a coincidence. Never underestimate the power of snow and ice." The way the consonants coming from her lips melted my heart.

"That was...wonderful!" I gasped as Idina also came out to listen to the track. I smiled at her shyly and added, "You definitely sound witchy enough because she's an evil queen, but it also sounds sexy...like Maureen."

"Really? I didn't even think that way," Idina laughed.

"I didn't think of that either but I really love what you did. Just take it as a compliment — Kristen is so good at it,"Jen joked and sent us into a fist of laughter.

____

The first song I recorded with Idina was called Life's Too Short, and we were told it was about Anna going to Elsa's ice palace to persuade her to come down the mountain. They started with this sweet sister chat, but ended up with a fall-out.

"...Life's too short to miss out on a sister like you."

Outside the booth Kristen Anderson-Lopez gave a thumb-up and said, "Great! Now let's get to the part where they argue. Idina and Kristen, imagine you're fighting and neither of you are willing to listen to each other. Ready?"

"I swear I'm through with taking your unshaking sisterly support! HAH! Life's too short!" I did as I was told to yell at Idina, trying to be as sarcastic and fierce as I could.

Idina, as a irritated Elsa, sang back with a badass face, "La la lalala laaaa life's too short to listen to a reckless fool who only ever sees the things she wants to see!"

"Okay great. Stop for a bit though," said Bobby. He played the soundtrack for us to listen, and everyone burst into laughter when they heard Idina singing the "la la lalala". Come on! That was so funny. Sounded like we were not fighting but joking around.

"Do you think that's what we want?" Bobby asked. "You two are supposed to be fighting but now it all sounds too sweet."

"Err... I like it pretty much cuz that's what sisters are like. Sisters never truly fight with one another, even when you're an evil snow queen, right?" I said, flickering a smile at Idina, who seemed amused by her own funny, dorky singing of "cute fight".

"I agree," Idina put her hand on my shoulder, smiling down. Her green eyes blinked with happy light.

____

Our recording sessions usually have a six-week interval in between, but this time I was called in only after a few days. Why? They'd found the song for Idina, and everything was going to change with the script. Elsa was no longer the evil Snow Queen, but a misunderstood, fearful girl possessing an ice power that was so beautiful but seen as a curse.