Chapter 19 - Disconnected

Start from the beginning

Which became a lot clearer as soon as they reached the river with cans of beer and two bottles of wine for the girls; he shouldn't do anything with the fact he was longing to kiss Elio again.

For Elio was seated on the grass while Joyce was casually chilling in his arms. They seemed cozy, they seemed like a couple. They seemed way too close for comfort and the fact neither Avan nor Samantha seemed surprised they were cuddling up right in front of them told Senn that this wasn't anything new.

And it made Senn want to throw up.

Of all girls, it had to be his ex Joyce? What was Elio trying to do? Fuck him up even worse? How hypocrite of him after trying to give him reasons to continue. Dating his ex after kissing him wasn't exactly a good motivation to continue.

It felt like a backstabbing move, really, from both sides. Though that probably wasn't completely fair to Joyce since she had no clue he was into Elio more than just being friends who had a habit of ditching school together.

"Lucas? What the fuck?" Senn hissed, waving his hand in their direction before the others had noticed their arrival.

"Oh," Lucas muttered, frowning at the sight.

"Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"I hadn't exactly expected them to be... this close already." Lucas shrugged. "Is it bothering you? I mean, Joyce was really worried about your reaction and she doesn't know you're joining us today..."

"When did it happen, Lucas?" Senn really just wanted to know when they started hanging out in other ways than friends. Had it been before, or after their kiss the week before? The least Elio could've done was tell him the night before, when they spoke about their kiss. He could've mentioned their kiss meant nothing simply because he was apparently dating Senn's ex girlfriend.

"They kissed at that party last Friday. Which is why I didn't expect much right now." Lucas prevented him from walking closer. "Senn, seriously, is it bothering you? I get it if it's too fresh to see Joyce move on..."

"No, Lucas..." Senn shook his head, his sadness growing every second. He sighed deeply before he shrugged a shoulder. "It's..."

He couldn't possibly explain to Lucas it was indeed bothering him. He couldn't because Lucas wouldn't understand why it was bothering him. This had nothing to do with Joyce moving on, though it was just another piece of evidence their lives continues while his stopped.

This had everything to do with the fact that Senn wanted pull Joyce away from Elio by her hair, because he wanted to be the one who was laying in his arms while their friends didn't give a shit about them.

He wanted to scream at Elio, but he didn't know what to say. Not in front of the others, not without telling them his biggest secret. He wanted to rip out Joyce's hair for kissing Elio behind his back without explaining to her why he felt so bothered by them hooking up.

"It's fine, Lucas. I'm just surprised." He decided to lie, not willing to get into this discussion. He knew his friends well enough to know they wouldn't drop the subject until Senn had voiced exactly what was bothering him, and he wasn't willing to pretend he was hurt over Joyce, rather than Elio.

Maybe they'd accept the excuse that he hated how much had changed while he wasn't there to witness it.

Maybe.

Because everything had changed, and Senn felt incapable of catching up with them. As if their lives took place miles apart from his and they only every so often met up to talk about insignificant things. Because in other aspects of their lives there no longer seemed to be a connection.

But Avan and Lucas knew him well enough to know when he was lying, or not telling the full truth. They probably wouldn't stop nagging until Senn admitted it was Elio kissing Joyce that bothered him, not Joyce kissing Elio.

Why did it have to be Elio Lake, of all people?

* * * Chapter 19

* * * Chapter 19.2 is exclusively available on Patreon. This chapter, and chapter 20, are now available on Patreon. It only takes a pledge of $1,- (for 1 month, so about 8 early access and 3 or 4 exclusive chapters as a benefit) * * *

* * * If you're still here with me, at chapter 19 (!!) and you haven't voted yet, press that star and show me the love! Also; comments make me smile =D * * *

Love, June