ch. three

"Young people fall in loveWith the wrong people sometimes"

With the wrong people sometimes"

3.

LOVED AND LOST

"This is between me and him, Em. I'm sorry. I love you so much but I can not deny the attraction that I have for him." Here we sat, in Em's beat up 2006 Toyota Corolla, bickering about whatever it is that Harry and I are.

"You left the dinner out of nowhere! You left Caleb! For my brother, at that! I mean what the fuck? Who are you anymore?" There are tears streaming down her cheeks and right here in this moment I've never felt more alone.

"You don't get it." I start to cry myself. I let out a sob and it doesn't stop, every word that comes out if sputtered or mumbled and I am a fucking mess. "He abused me! He mentally fucking abused me for four years, Emma! He fucking hit me at the rehearsal dinner! Right in front of Harry! I had no intentions of leaving that dinner with him but I know that I am too good for a man that would lay a hand on a woman." My face twists in anger, I can feel it. "Harry was there for me. He saw how terrible of a man that Caleb is before you and you've been watching us for years! He was fucking there for me and I do not regret one damn second of it." I finally make up my mind. I'm done being tossed around and walked all over.

"Why didn't you tell me the first time? You fucked my brother and didn't say anything!" She responds with just as much fire as I.

"I didn't know he was your brother until today! You think I'd hide this from you? You're like my sister! You and Naomi are the only family I have here. You know I don't keep secrets. I didn't know Harry was your brother, I'd have told you." My voice is calmer now but my heart still aches just as much.

We sit there in silence when she doesn't respond, it leaves me with my thoughts. I just met the guy, it's not like we're in love and have been having an affair for years or anything. "I'm sorry." She breaks the silence and reaches in her pocket and I almost flinch. I know she would never hurt me but I'm so lost in thought that the action catches me off guard. "Here. Caleb gave it to me when you didn't return." She hands me my phone and the screen is absolutely demolished. What a fucking psycho.

"Will you go inside with me tomorrow to get my stuff?" I ask her softly. I'm absolutely terrified of the man and what exactly he is capable of.

"Of course." She grabs ahold of my hand and goes in to hug me. "I just want you to be happy, Lils." She says into my hair.

"I know." Is all I can say. Today has been an emotional rollercoaster to say the absolute least.

There's a knock at the window and it catches both of us off guard. "Harry?" We say in unison. I roll my window down to look up at him and it's like I'm in puddles all over again.