prologue

"You're so cute bet you really wanna be a starTo feel like gold when you're dancing on broken heartsAnd you know it's trueYou're no good 'til they're looking at youBad front, I can see right through"

To feel like gold when you're dancing on broken hearts
And you know it's true
You're no good 'til they're looking at you
Bad front, I can see right through"

PROLOGUE

2015

"I really don't want to go, Naomi." She sighed into the phone held between her ear and shoulder as she typed the address of the club into the search bar. It was a particularly cloudy Saturday evening, time ticking quickly, getting closer and closer to her twenty-first birthday party. The sweet, Hawaiian-raised, brown-eyed beauty was never exactly the partying type. When she moved away from the beautiful state to pursue an education at NYU Tisch School of the Arts, she had no choice but to befriend the 'partying' type. Naomi was her kindest, most loyal friend she had made while in New York. Though their friendship had just passed the two-year mark it would be safe to assume they had been life-long friends, since birth even.

"You cannot be serious, Lillian. It is your birthday, bitch! You deserve to let loose for once." She rolled her blue eyes and the annoyance was evident in her tone. "You're hot, Lils. Em and I have spent hours perfecting every little detail. Please, Lily, it'll be fun!" Naomi twirled her tight, ringlet curls between her slender fingers as she tried to convince the stubborn one. Her annoyance grew with every conflicted sigh that left Lily's mouth. Who wouldn't want to go to the hottest club in town to celebrate their birthday? Naomi and Emma went as far as to work extra shifts on-top of their already busy schedules to be able to afford the venue. She was hurt by her best friends hesitation.

"Fine, fine. I'll go." She finally spoke and the scream of glee from the other end of the phone was almost enough to shatter Lily's eardrum. "I refuse to get shit-faced, though. I mean it, Naomi." She finally lets herself laugh, remembering the last time the trio got so drunk that they had all puked all over Naomi's dorm room.

"You're gonna have a blast, Lily! Promise. You won't regret it. Love you!" The line goes silent and she was left in her bedroom, dreading the night ahead of her.

"Love you, too." She groaned, throwing herself back onto the mattress behind her. Maybe she was being hrash, Lily thought, her friends did just want her to have good time on her birthday. She really hadn't been feeling herself lately, she missed Hawaii greatly. The sun, the waves, her friends, her dad; everything. She did have a pretty grand life in New York, though. A really great education, a so-far successful path to a career in acting, some really great friends, and an amazing boyfriend. Caleb.

I'm dragging you with me, I hope you know. (;

She texted him before finally deciding to get ready for the big night. After two hours she was pretty happy with her appearance, very twenty-first birthday worthy.