Chapter 22

Everyone is geared up and ready to go.

The five of you leave the house and go to the protest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You all arrive at the meeting point. There are at least 300 people here. A woman is speaking to the crowd using a megaphone.

"Okay everyone we are going to start walking, all I ask of you is to wait for us to get to the front then form a line behind us, there are people who have extra masks, water and snacks so if you want or need any of those feel free to ask and if anyone gets hurts we have medics here. Alright let's do this! Black Lives..!"

"Matter!" The crowd yells.

The woman and the other organizers make their way to the front of the group then start walking.

The five of you walk towards the front of the crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun is setting and everyone is still going. The police have lined up creating a barrier not allowing anyone to move forward.

Everyone is standing their ground, hands up in the air, chanting:

"Hands up! Don't shoot!"

Riot and Tank keep their heads up a swivel, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

Tank looks behind the protesters.

"Y/N get on my shoulders, tell me what you see."

Tank bends down and you wrap your legs around his neck. He lifts you up and you look behind the crowd. In the distance another line of police are slowly making there way here. You lean down to the side of Tank's helmet.

"They're coming we have to warn everyone. They're gonna box us in," you try to be quiet not causing a panic.

You bring your head back up to look at the line of police again and now they have an armored vehicle.

That's when you see him. A protester wearing a black hoodie looking at the line of the police coming toward you all. He turns around and looks at you. He's wearing an anonymous mask and tactical vest with a blue scarf around his neck. He looks pretty strong. There's something about the way he looked at you, even with the mask on, you felt drawn to each other.

Tank puts you down on the ground.

Tank talks indistinctly to Athena. Then Athena makes her way to the front of the crowd to warn the organizers.

Athena talks to the woman in charge then walks back towards you. The woman turns on her speakerphone to talk to the crowd.

"Everyone! I need your attention! More police are on their way here now. They may try to box us in. But we aren't going to let them scare us. We have a right to be here! We have a right to demand justice! We are peaceful! And we are unarmed! And yet the police feel the need to intimidate us with their riot gear, but we won't let them. We will stand our ground."

The crowd starts clapping.

Next thing you know the police who were down the street are right next to the edge of the crowd. They hold their batons up and start pushing protesters.

The crowd stood there ground, interlocking arms, making sure no one fell.

Then there was a recording playing over and over.

"This is a test of the L.R.A.C. system."

Someone screamed "run!"

The crowd scattered, running to the sides trying to get as far away as possible. Some people fell as they tried to run. Some others helped up and those who weren't too lucky were pounced on by the police.

Then you see him again. There are two police officers beating him with batons as he covers his face.

The guys see you looking at him, and wave you over.

"Come on!"

You look at them then sprint to the man getting beaten by the police.

All five of them chase after you.

You dive right into one of the cops, knocking them over.

Tank picks up the other cop still beating the man and puts him down a couple of feet away. Alpha and Athena grab the man and carry him to safety. Riot goes over to you and holds the cop on the ground.

"Don't even think about moving," Riot warns the cop.

The cop complies and doesn't move a muscle, raising his hands above his head. You are able to get up and start running. Tank and Riot follow you.

The three of you head down the street that you saw Athena and Alpha take the man.

"They probably went this way," Riot says while pointing in the direction towards the house.

The three of you start walking that way, checking your surroundings.

Then a couple of blocks down you find them. They are in a alley checking his wounds. The man is lifting his shirt up, showing his reddening skin and his delicious abs.

Focus. Think about anything else, literally anything else.

You all walk up to them.

"Hey, how badly are you hurt? My name's Riot," Riot asks the man.

"Could've been worse, definitely gonna be hurting tomorrow, I don't think anything is broken... I'm Scorpion."

Everyone goes around introducing themselves.

"I've gotta thank you though," he points to you, "if you didn't knock down that cop it could've been worse and I'd probably be in handcuffs right now."

You feel your face heating up.

"Oh, uh yeah no problem, I'd want someone to save me if I was in that situation so."

"Thank you Y/N," Scorpion tells you again.

His eyes linger on you, as if he's seeing you for the first time. You feel your chest tighten and your palms getting sweaty.

I wonder what he looks like underneath that mask.

"You should come to our house. We're not too far from here, we can get some real bandages on you and stitch up that cut on your leg," Riot suggests.

"Yeah. I don't know. I'm sure I'll be fine," Scorpion replies.

"Well it'll be safer than walking around the streets alone right now, those cops might find you again and I know I'd feel guilty if anything really bad happened to you," you try to change his mind.

Scorpion ponders for a moment then says: "okay why not."

Riot sticks his hand out to help him stand up. Then you all walk down the street towards the house.