My Dear (Hosea X Reader)

Requested by: hoseamatthewswife. I hope you like it! 

Side note: I headcanon that Hosea uses 'my dear' for his s/o. 

Your eyes open and you sigh. Not this again. Placing the pillow you were hugging back on the cold, empty side of the bed, you get up and put some coffee on. There's a rainstorm outside, that must have kept you sleeping late. By the light, you can tell it's about 10 am.

You drink the coffee and read the newspaper. Nothing about them. That's good.

You push away the sadness that comes with that thought. You're not even sure if no news is good news.

I wish he was here.

You sigh again and you're just about to pour yourself another cup of coffee when there's a knock at the door.

Your head whips around and you grab your gun, just in case.

I wonder if it's him.

You slowly open the door a crack. They're stood there shivering from the icy rain, and you know who they are.

The door slowly creaks open and you're stood there staring at him.

"Hello, my dear." Hosea says.

You throw yourself into his arms with a wide smile. "You're back!"

"It's been a long six months. I missed you," he says, simply.

"I missed you too," you pull away from him and look into his eyes for a moment before coming to your senses. "Right! You must be freezing," you usher him inside. "Do you want some coffee?"

"I would love some, Y/N," Hosea smiles.

You pour him some coffee. "You look wonderful today." Hosea says, making you blush.

"Thank you, Hosea," you set the coffee cups down on the table. "So, what's the gang been up to lately?"

*

It's late at night. The stars are twinkling in the sky and you and Hosea are holding hands and stargazing. You've been talking the whole day, and you wonder if he's got to go back to the gang soon. The thought makes your heart heavy, but you know he's got to go back eventually, he always does. That's the man you fell in love with, and you knew that, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

So you turn to him and look at him instead of the stars. In your opinion, he's more beautiful than every beautiful thing you've ever seen combined. You gaze at him, taking everything in. You want to remember this moment forever. Just being, with the man you love most in the world.

Except you haven't told him you love him yet. You've not been dating that long. A month or two at most, but you've enjoyed every minute you've had together.

"You could come with us, you know," Hosea says.

It tears you out of your train of thoughts and you're not sure if you imagined it. "Huh?"

"You don't have to, of course," Hosea says. "It's just a thought."

You smile. "Of course I'll come with you. I was hoping you'd ask."

Hosea laughs. "Well, that makes things simple,"

"It sure does," you agree, and pause for a second. There's a silence that begs to be broken, but the question is, what to break it with. Should I say it?

You don't have to: Hosea speaks first.

"I love you, Y/N," he says. "I love your smile, your laugh, your eyes, the way you speak. Now I understand if you don't feel the same but-"

You cut him off by kissing him. "I love you too."

*

The next morning, you pack your bags and put your house up for sale. You ride with Hosea to their camp.

It's quite a ride and you feel a rush of love when you realise how long it must've taken him to get to your place from the camp.

"Alright, my dear, we're here," Hosea says. You ride up a path and hitch your horses.

Several people approach you and Hosea slips his hand into yours and squeezes three times.

I love you.

"Ah, Mr Matthews you're back!" a dark-haired man says. "And you've brought a friend."

"Girlfriend," you say, trying to stand taller.

"Well, you must forgive me then, Miss Y/N. I've heard a lot about you." he says with a slight laugh. "My name is Dutch, and it's a pleasure to meet you."

*

You're finishing a bowl of stew when you hear Dutch put on his gramophone. Hosea takes almost no time to approach you.

"Would you care for a dance, my dear?" he asks, holding out a hand.

"I'd love to dance with you," you take his hand and he takes you to a more open spot so you can move around easier.

You sway to the music for a couple of minutes in silence, your head on his chest, his hands around your waist.

The lyrics are pretty and match how you feel perfectly.

Can I go where you go?

Can we always be this close?

Forever and ever and I,

Take me out and take me home.

You're my, my, my, my,

Oh, you're my, my, my, my,

Darling, you're my, my, my, my...

Lover.

The song ends. Hosea speaks. "Thank you for coming with me. I'm happy you're here."

"I'm glad I'm here, too. I love you," You kiss him as a new song comes on.

"I love you too, my dear."

You dance until long after the sun goes down.

Requests?