CHAPTER 24: Oldest Trick in the Book

Rachel stood beside me closely, her hand gripping mine and the other holding her teddy bear. Getting her out of the car without turning into a child's worst nightmare was not an easy task. Rachel had outgrown her attitude the moment she looked through the car window and saw the school.

When I finally convinced her to step out of the vehicle, she barely said anything, not even a nod to my questions. Rachel wasn't smiling nor expressing any hint of joyfulness on her face after such a fun day she had. The rays of sunshine she sprinkled generously in the grasses of Gorchoire stayed at Gorchoire.

I wondered why.

"So, I have to meet up with the architect to discuss the project in Gorchoire. If you want to sleep in the mansion tonight, that would be great. If you don't want to, as usual, the choice is yours," Eric said and kissed me in the cheek. "So...see you tomorrow?" He opened the car door of the front seat and went inside.

"See you tomorrow." I waved goodbye.

Eric took off and I was left with Rachel and her sour mood in the parking lot. "Are you ready?" I faced downwards to Rachel who was as tall as my hips. Still not saying anything, the child simply nodded once and went back to her nonexistent smile.

Even though we were still in the lobby, I already anticipated the worst, possible scenarios that would come up. The air was thinning and every vibration inside my body was amplifying all at once from different places. There were tiny thousands of needles poking me the sole of my feet. My legs were wobbling like frozen jelly and it literally felt like it was going to melt off.

Inhale and exhale.

Apparently, I was terrified to face Professor Brawston with yet another utter disappointed look on his face. I refused to see him be even more discouraged to view me as more than a person of constant failure and rejection in his eyes.

'Don't worry, Max informed him in class. Besides, her daughter had the time of her life. At least she got to experience real fun rather than being stuck inside a room with a bossy nurse.' I thought as I continued to walk, more nervous as we got closer.

When we arrived at the hallway connected near to Professor Brawston's office, I gave my left arm a quick pinch as I closed my eyes. Somehow I wished I could leave Rachel by the door and just run off like a coward, at least I won't see the same patterned, condescending expression on his father's again, this time for a far more promising reason.

Rachel was still being quiet despite the obvious fear manifested in my trembling arms. Inhale and exhale. After a few more steps, the next thing my eyes witnessed was a man standing with his arms crossed, back straight, and teeth clenched like his body was programmed to devour me in close contact. 

As soon as he saw Rachel, he grabbed her in a heartbeat. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call the cops right now," he said.

"Professor Braw...ston, uh, I mean...Frank, I —"

"You couldn't even afford to talk to me. You just had to order someone else to tell me that you took my only daughter to God knows where without my permission?" He breathed deeply. "I thought you were different from your parents. Turns out the apple truly does not fall far from the tree." His taunting eyes never left mine.

"Get out of my sight."

"No, daddy! Don't get mad at Avery," Rachel interrupted, pulling her father's cerulean blue office suit, "I was the one who sneaked out of my room. I snuck off when Grace was sleeping. I'm sorry. Please don't get mad at her."