CHAPTER 9: Forever Hold Your Peace

Beyond the dark, gloomy clouds, the hustling winds grew stronger by the minute; making it harder to sink in the swirling emotions infiltrating into my senses. Our reunion was soon kept at bay. But my eyes continue to paint a vivid picture of her face for the promise of uncertainty still clings in the air.

A terrible downpour has pushed us to seek shelter.

Drew insisted we eat dinner at his place and wait out the rain. He handed over to me extra clothes and face towels to dry myself. I sat down on the couch and kept my hands warm. He put some firewood over to the furnace and headed to the kitchen.

"You should probably drink something to get rid of the cold. Can I interest you with some coffee? Tea, maybe?" He said, chopping some onions.

"I'm okay, Drew. Thanks anyway," I replied. While Drew got handy in the kitchen, I took some time looking through old photos of Sarah growing up. I can't help but to reminisce and shed a tear for her sudden passing. I was too carried away by my own problems that I forgot she was dealing with so much more, and the worst part is, I haven't been there for her.

The sweet aroma of the roasted chicken lingered all over the house; it was mouth-watering. It drew me to the dining table, looking over him seasoning the side dish. "Hmmm, I always knew you had a gift but I guess I underestimated you. It smells so good, Drew!"

He smirked at my semi-insult. "Why don't you make yourself useful and set the table? Or is it illegal for princesses to put silverware on the table from where you live?" He replied, washing his hands with soap.

"Very funny," I grimaced at his joke, getting clean plates from the cabinet on top of the dishwasher.

Drew got the chicken out of the oven with his kitchen mittens; its succulent scent left me prickling with anticipation. "Are you sure you don't want to stay the night? Trepoissene is quite far from the city. Plus, the storm isn't going to stop anytime soon," he asked, slicing open the chicken in front of him.

"No, I can't stay. Eric is probably going nuts looking for me right now."

Drew scoffed. He took a bite of the juicy, tender  finely bronzed bird and said, "Not that any of it is going to change anything, but what you did was without a doubt the stupidest thing ever."

"Which is? The one where I sent over hookers to the guy that I love so he'd eventually leave me or is it how I married my childhood friend as a key to my faux freedom?"

"Come on, Avery. Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone has those days. We all make foolish decisions every once in a while," he patted my back and tried his best to conserve the laughter.

I glared my killer eyes at him as a sign to quit the tactless jokes. Having seen my grimace after hearing his banter, he coughed and changed the topic, remembering too late that he should've been more cautious to not hit a nerve. 

"Who was that lady you were talking to at the cemetery?" He asked while pouring himself a glass of iced tea.

"Just some crazy woman who claims we're related by blood," I replied, shoving my second to the last piece of chicken skin into my mouth.

"Well, do you believe her?"

"If I do, does that make me crazier?"