CHAPTER 11: Mother of Renegades

Beethoven's Ode to Joy captivated the eardrums of everyone in the buffet area, among those were delightfully scooping spoonfuls of savory saffron and holding onto more than a bowl of caviar toward their glass tables dressed with clean linens and complete, luxurious silverware.

The wealthy were served with more than a wide array of culture and distinction of culture-laden cuisines from all around the world, they were also awed by the stunning ceiling decorations and pieces of furniture specifically crafted to complement the perfect scenery to please their eyes and uphold their reputation.

The owner of such a renowned and exclusive restaurant was a friend of my father's, a loyal investor in some of his local culinary businesses. Upon seeing me, a table was then set for both of us, and sparkling water was served shortly after. The accommodation was spotless.

Meeting Audrey, once again, was the universe's way of telling me to discover more of the truth than what was laid down before me. I intended to know more about her.

Angry by what I had said, she slammed her two hands on the table. "Are you out of your mind?"

"What are you so scared of? You're not an impostor, are you?" I replied, dialing my mother's number on the phone.

"You promised me shoes, not a fancy dinner together with a woman who basically left me with a gambler of a father."

"It's just a small gathering between the Prawes, or whatever my family name really is," I said, calling my mother on the phone once again, "besides, Louboutins are not one of the cheap ones. You owe me this."

"No. I don't owe you anything."

"Just a second," I mouthed, anticipating an answer.

"Mother, I've called to apologize for not making it to lunch yesterday. My behavior was completely irresponsible and immature."

"It's enlightening that you have got to your senses. Neither your father nor I condone your absences in family obligations, young lady."

"Yes, I understand that. That is why I would like to invite you to dinner tonight at my house. I have someone who'd like to see you, and I'm certain you'd like to talk to her as well," I said, glaring at Audrey.

"M-my daughter? Inviting me...to dinner?"

"No need to make it a big deal. Don't be late."

Delighted by the accepted invitation, I smirked at Audrey who's clearly upset. Just when she was about to talk her way out of it, my eyes got distracted, failing to focus on her and to listen to the words coming out of her mouth. A man was coming towards us.

Standing six foot two, he was wearing the same suit from the Founder's Ball, to which he looked so dashing and undeniably irresistible. His hair, slicked-back, his face, so perfect, and his smile, so daring, that urges your egg cells to dance maniacally, in and out, through your fallopian tubes.

"How did you get in here? This restaurant is exclusively for—"

"Avery, how long will you keep underestimating my charms? It works on anyone, certainly on you," Nate said, sitting down beside me.

Audrey looked at him as if he were a god, utterly awed by his presence. Quickly, she fixed up her hair as she used her phone as a mirror.

"Who is this," she moans, "smoking fella?" With her eyes locked on Nathan's, she rested both of her elbows vertically on the table and her chin on her curled hands, one overlapping the other. Such a gesture was bluntly done to show him she had no ring on her finger.