Chapter 28

"We have to practice for your big show jumping competition, silly!"

I had completely forgotten about the competition.

Believe it or not, it had only been a day since we had saved Max. It felt even longer than that. I couldn't believe we had done everything to save him in only a day.

"Mel? Is everything okay?" Max asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I snapped back to reality.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just can't believe that it's only been a day. I had completely forgotten about my competition."

"We all went through a lot, especially you and Max. It's only normal that you would forget. You've had a lot on your mind lately," Johnathan said.

"Yeah, don't worry about it, Mel. You need to take some time to relax. As soon as you feel better, we'll start practicing again."

I smiled.

"Don't worry, Alex. I'll make sure we win that first place trophy."

"I know we'll do great!" she said.

My stomach growled and I blushed in embarrassment.

Max chuckled.

"Come on, let's go get something to eat," Max said.

"Don't worry about it, sweetheart. I already cooked up a little something for you two," Cassandra responded.

She handed us each a plate with some bacon and eggs.

"Aww, Cassandra you shouldn't have," I said, feeling guilty.

"Nonsense! It was no trouble at all. Eat up," she said, smiling.

After breakfast, we all sat on the couch and talked for a while.

"Hey guys, I feel like I'm intruding. This is your packhouse, you know, for the pack members. I don't belong here," I said.

"Mel, don't feel bad. This packhouse has plenty of extra rooms. Johnathan and I decided we wanted to have you all closeby and made personalized rooms for you. I guess spotting V helped us to put the new rooms to use," Alex responded.

"You're not obligated to stay if you don't want to. I understand that you have a home," Johnathan added.

I instantly felt bad.

"No, no it's not that. Being here has been great. It's truly felt like a second home, even. I'm surrounded by all my friends and people I love. I guess I'm just worried about the horses that's all."

My mom placed her hand on mine.

"Don't worry, sweetie. The house is doing just fine. I've been checking up on the stables and our horses are in perfect condition."

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Well, that's good to hear. Maybe in a couple of days, I can go back to the house and train with Alex."