Chapter 1 Goodbyes

Chapter 1 Goodbyes

            I couldn’t get her to look at me. I sat in the passenger seat of her car as she drove me to the airport. She had both of her hands on the steering wheel and her eyes were on the road. She bit her lip trying to control her lower quivering lip.

 I was just as upset as her. We had the whole summer together, and now I had to go back to the U.K. This wasn’t fair, not at all.

            I pulled at my seatbelt as it scratched at my neck. This was so uncomfortable but I didn’t want to leave.

            She pulled the car up to the front of the airport and stopped.

            I reached back and brought my duffel bag up to my lap.

            She put the car in park and folded her hands in her lap, looking down. I saw a single tear fall down her cheek.

            Oh, no if she was going to cry then I was going to lose it, I swear. I laid my hand on hers. “Annabele…” I whispered trying to meet her eyes, one last time.

            She shook her head and jerked her hand out from mine.

            “I lo-.” I started but she covered my mouth with her hand.

            “Don’t.” She cut me off. She removed her hand off of my mouth and turned toward the road again.

I leaned in. “I tried.” I reminded her.

            She nodded. “I know.”

            Before she could stop me I kissed her cheek. Her soft skin felt good against my lips. I couldn’t believe that this may be the last time that I would feel that again.

            I tried so hard to get her to come with me, to have a long and happy life with me. She just couldn’t do it, couldn’t leave everything else behind.

            “Look at me, please.” I begged.

            Sighing, she slowly made eye contact with me.

            “This isn’t over. I will find you again.” I promised. She would have my word.

            All she did was shrug and look away. I’ll admit it hurt that she was pushing me away like this, but I really understood where she was coming from.

            I was selfish. I wanted to have her all to myself.

            Before I really broke down I opened the door and left without another word.

(Annabele’s point of view)

            As soon as he left all I wanted to do was cry. But as soon as the tears started to leak from my eyes I wiped them away.

            “No, Annabele, you have to be strong. Everything will be alright. You knew it was going to end. You promised that you wouldn’t do this.” I whispered to myself.

            A car honked behind me. I still haven’t left the front of the airport. I ignored them trying to get another glimpse of Niall. I couldn’t find him.

            The continued to honk. I huffed in annoyance. “Alright!” I yelled out of the window.

            I pulled out and didn’t even look as I pulled back into the highway. More cars honked but they were ok. They would get over it. “Oops.” I said under my breath.