You Don't Need to Know

I am SO sorry I took so long!! I've got a lot of stuff on my plate right now that has slowed my writing time down by quite a bit. I don't think I'll be able to do once a week anymore, but I hope I'll be able to get it out fast enough to keep y'all  interested! I hope this chapter is worth the wait, and I still have a lot in store for the rest of the story. We're halfway through right now. Enjoy!

Dipper's POV

When I awoke, all I saw was my sister staring at me, clearly worried. Bill was asleep at the dining table. I couldn't remember what happened. All I remembered was being out on the cliffs and peacefully talking as the sun went down. Now, my head throbbed, my cheek burned, and Mabel had bruises all along her face and arm. "What happened?"

"Bill saved us, remember? When that dinosaur attacked, it gashed your cheek and knocked you out. It came after me next, but that's when Bill..." She looked over at him, a trace of fear across her gaze, "Saved us." Leaving it at that, she left for the kitchen. "Want some soup? You must be hungry. Been sleeping for who knows how long."

"Sure, thanks," I said distractedly, thinking about how she changed the subject so quickly. What could she be hiding?

A sudden knock at the door drew me away. Before anyone could see who it was, the guest threw open the door with a squeal, "Oh, Mabel! There's your adorable face. How are you, honey? I heard about what happened. Are you all right?" Pacifica fussed and examined her girlfriend thoroughly before taking over the soup she was preparing.

Mabel just laughed, "I'm fine, Paz. Don't worry. I think Dipper got the worst of it."

"Pfft, he has his demon, he'll be fine." Pacifica swatted her hair over her shoulder and brought a spoonful of soup up to Mabel's mouth, "Eat. You need to rest up for our vacay in a couple weeks, m'kay?"

"You're so sweet, but that soup is meant for Dipper." Mabel smiled sweetly and took the bowl over to me. "But, we can go out for some ice cream if you want?"

"Alrighty, let's do it! But it's going to be to-go. I still don't like Greasy's Diner all that much. Ick!" She shivered in disgust, and the two of them walked out hand in hand, leaving me alone with Bill.

I ate my soup in silence, surprised at how well Pacifica could cook. I gained some strength as I finished the bowl and stood up to go rinse it. When I returned, Bill was sitting up, rubbing his eyes and yawning. "Hey." I greeted him stiffly.

"Hey." He replied, just as anxious.

"Mabel told me what happened. Thank you."

"She...she did?"

"Not everything, just that you saved me."

"Oh, okay. Uh, your welcome, I guess."

"Yeah..."

I turned and started upstairs. I couldn't take much more of this. I didn't want to talk to him, but at the same time, I needed to know. What really happened? What is so taboo about Bill saving us, that I can't know? I turned to face him, "What happened?" I demanded.

"Mabel told me to not tell you. You don't need to know."

"Yes, I do."

"All you need to know is that I would do anything to protect you." He was beating around a bush, and I was getting frustrated.

"What happened." It was stated more like a command than a question.

"I...No, I can't. You'd hate me. I have to go." He dodged it once more and watched the floor as he left.

"I am going to find out eventually," I called back to him.

But as he walked away, I realized I was all alone with burning questions and a burning wound. Not wanting to do anything, I went to the couch on the back patio to wait out the day. With a pit cola in one hand and an ice pack in the other, I finally sat down to watch the woods. The wind brushed my hair playfully. Songs from the birds soothed my worrying mind. I yawned peacefully, sipped at the pit cola, and closed my eyes to rest.