(Final) Chapter 21.1: The Choice - Contemplation

Azhure: With that, I have rewritten the first twelve chapters. The note after this chapter will explain why I did so. And with that, this is the end... part one.

---

Kaomagi Earth

Year 2018

With both knees resting on soft cotton, Alicia rested her arms upon the sill of the open window beside her bed she kneeled on. She gazed upon the starry blue night, for there were no artificial lights beyond the window of her room blotting the sky black.

It was hours after the final mission of the First Treaty operation in Beohar, but she still felt like it was moments ago. Thinking about it dejected her even further.

"It's... because of the nature of being a Court Wizard itself."

"Why is that?"

"Well, it is not... the best kind of job."

"Is it because it is dangerous?"

"...No, not really. We, Court Wizards, don't go down and directly fight. Rather, we operate in the shadows. Doing subtle changes that impact the events of a world, but we can go public if we need to. However, it is how we do such changes is what I don't want you to go through.

"I know it firsthand and it's a rather sensitive subject for me, so forgive me for not wanting to tell you my experience."

She thought she could handle it, the whole thing, when she took her father's warning. When Aqua briefed to her that the child of the Wolfram noble has to die and why her mind had accepted it but it was clear that her heart did not. And thus, she finally broke down.

But perhaps, it was not just this. Perhaps this was just the final pressure that burst the lid.

At the seventh mission, in Qantasia, she had experienced, for the first time, what the Otherworldly Court might be willing to do. And learned that even Court Wizards can folly, witnessed the closing of a hero's sad past in brutal vengeance, and learned that a Court Wizard would only perish tragically.

At the sixth mission, in Geron Yor, she had seen how despite the Otherworldly Court paved the path for the hero, they still strayed from it and failed to reach their goal, and how the Otherworldly Court was basically like, "Great, now we have to wait for the next hero to arrive." Then, the unexpected conclusion that was the Timeless Hero Wanderer and how Hanz stopped him out of spite. This was the final blow that drove Rin Fujiwara to abruptly take leave with Rose's patient reasoning, albeit incomplete, sowing the little hope that she would return.

At the fifth mission, in Osianicd Archipelago, she learned how the limitations the Otherworldly Court can do to intervene, the first clash to Rin's ideals. The Contract was nothing but a brief respite for the younger Fujiwara for the sixth.

At the fourth mission, she had almost died and glimpsed at how Voice reacted to it with extremity. Then, Haruto Fujiwara had meaninglessly saved her just to keep his promise to his sister, to save so others would not grieve. Thinking about it, the Fujiwara siblings would have certainly tried to stop the murder of the Wolfram noble as it was shown that his son had cried because of it.

At the third mission, in Qantasia, she had seen the cruelty one can do to others first hand.

At the second mission, in Beohar, she watched her fellow Court Wizards kill the noble's, now known as the Wolfram, men and she could not hold her disgust. Even further now that the noble's, and all those loyal to him, motivations were known to be 'right' in their view.