Chapter 20.4.1: The Awoken Dream to Test the Heart - Confronting First Half

Azhure: This is the first half of this chapter. The next half will come next week.

Voice: Why?

Azhure: Writing the second half is hard.

Voice: I see...

---

CREEK

Alicia recognized the similar interior architecture of the Bell Branch's lobby.

However, it was quite unlike the previous. No groups of merchants in the lounge discussing market prices over tea; no lines of job applicants of all age and gender waiting for their turn; and no mob around the bulletin board looking for the best one-time contract work or be the ones posting it.

There was only the female receptionist over the counter who immediately noticed the Court Wizards' arrival.

"Good morning and welcome to Bell Conglomerate," the receptionist greeted. "May I help you?"

Here goes. In front of the receptionist, Alicia braced herself to make the request but...

Would you like me to take over for you? (Rose)

...No, this is something I should do.

And Alicia spoke, "We would like to see the manager."

"I'm sorry, but the manager is too busy." The receptionist bowed, "I'm afraid he is unable to meet anyone right now. Would you like to set a future appointment?"

"No, we need to see him now."

Alicia pulled a white handkerchief out of a hidden pocket within her red dress. It has the symbol of the Otherworldly Court: the scale over the spear and shield.

For worlds that the Otherworldly Court introduced themselves to, it was always in a way that it made them an object of fear to its denizens - ironic, considering the Otherworldly Court's goals. So the handkerchief was better than saying it out loud.

"..!" The receptionist blinked upon looking at the cloth and then her face became pale.

In a moment of silence, she quietly uttered three words.

"Everyone... come out."

STOMP STOMP STOMP

Out of the back door came a dozen or so rough-looking men and women in light metal armor. They held estoc, spears, axes, crossbows... any weapon that would serve hunting Beosts.

STOMP             STOMP

             STOMP

While Beost hunters primarily hunt, well, Beosts, they also often become mercenaries. And these mercenaries now surrounded the Court Wizards.

Owen instinctively went in front of Alicia. "Stand back," he whispered to her.

If these brutes didn't blatantly show the manager's treason, then what the receptionist girl said next will.

"F-Forgive me..." she weakly muttered. But, it seemed that she did not want any part of this, but was probably forced to of something. "But the manager ordered us to not let you meet him... and let you go either."

It appears that Norman had a feeling that we would come for him. Forgive me, Alicia, but it seems our fears are true. (Rose)

Yes, despite all the hopes that Rose proposed during the short walk to this place, and perhaps also what Owen had said last week, for the first time, a Bell Branch manager had betrayed their trust.