Chapter 19.4: A Ritual to be Grounded - Trapped

Azhure: Just two more chapters and I'm done!

Voice: Hooray!

---

"Welcome! It is a pleasure to see each other again... Court Wizards!"

It was like the Green Deity... was all Alicia could think of when she heard the familiar title.

Just like in Geron Yor, it was supposed to be a simple task of rooting out a secret order of evil mages seeking to complete an eldritch ritual. But, not only they except Jonathan were trapped, but the cultists also knew about them. As far as Alicia was aware, only the Coastline royal family along with their closest retainers, and the Bell Branch manager plus his most trusted employees would know and none of them had any reason to be in cahoots with the cultists.

"That voice," Jonathan muttered over on the other side, breaking Alicia's chain of thoughts.

"Missed me, Jonathan?" the lead cultist then taunted.

He, knows him? What is going on? Alicia widened her eyes as she watched the lead cultist lift his hood with his left hand covered in grey feathers and his right hand holding an iron dagger. Aside from his face looking to be in his late thirties, Alicia could also see a set of grey seagull wings sprouting out of the back of his black robe with a grey accent.

While Alicia was surprised by the lead cultist's statement, Jonathan seemed to understand what was going on as he spoke out one name, "Gray."

CLANG

Then, in one swift motion, Jonathan pulled his hood and took off his metallic mask, dropping it to the floor much to Alicia's shock. She was told the first rule was applied even more so in your own world which included hiding your face and here Jonathan just broke it.

"Ah, such a familiar face," Gray said with a sinister smile. "I was right to approach you all those years ago, hero descendant."

"You were dead," Jonathan stated sternly, uncaring of the seagull beastfolk's last remark.

"My death was greatly exaggerated," Gray chuckled. "And it appears you think so as well."

"Master, what is going on?" Jill was the first to ask. "Who is that man? How did he know us?"

"You never met him," Darc explained. "He was someone in Jonathan's group in the civil war. He's supposed to have died back then, looks like we're wrong."

"Is that how he knows us?" Alicia then asked.

"Yes, and now some things make sense," Darc then looked down at the shining runes that were now not as bright as before but would still impede his magic. "I recall one mission with Zenya where she spilled my magic when prompted... by him."

"...She just told him?"

"Huh, I have always thought it would bring trouble later."

"You faked your death," Jonathan concluded.

"I appreciate your compliment," the lead cultist cooed, clearly proud of his handiwork. "Oh?" he then looked towards the Court Wizards behind the glass wall and noticed something. "Is the Court Wizard who beheaded poor Dubarim not with you? What a shame," he shrugged. "I have a few words to say to him. He did massacre a couple of our brothers and sisters too, after all."

Before anyone could even ask, Gray continued, "Oh yes! I was the one who aided Doug von SaltWaters in his little coup. He's so full of himself! I was afraid my poor wings would break folding inside my robe every time I dealt with that manchild!"

"Then why help him?"

"Oh, nothing really, I thought I could stir up some trouble to aid our quest," Gray shrugged lazily. "But then I thought I could catch an even bigger fish and lead that noble to your not-so-humble Bell Branch!"