21

Evelyn's footsteps silently pushed up against the steps that led out to the the deck. She carefully crept away from her sleeping family, getting one last good look of the clear, starry night sky before returning to Port Royal.

Barefoot, like Evelyn had always like to be since she was a child, she touched the cool wood, inching higher and higher.

The best part of being on a ship, in her opinion, was to see the stars. Such views one doesn't see often when living on land. The stars didn't even have to shine so bright to be seen out here. The glittering diamonds would even reflect upon the ocean surface, confusing those to wonder if they were sailing through the ocean or the sky.

Evelyn's naked foot hit the top of the step, allowing her to fully look around the deck. Her roaming, emerald eyes came to a halt on a figure leaning over the railing. A corner curled up on her mouth.

Jack was awake, much to her surprise. Even with his back turned to her, it looked as though he was there reminiscing in the moment, not bottle of rum in his grip.

Biting on her lip, she quietly crept over to him, locking her hands together behind her back.

"I expected you to be asleep by now." Evelyn spoke softly but loud enough for her friend to hear.

There was a slight jump in the pirate's shoulders. Jack whipped his head around, looking completely alerted. His dark eyes settled on the woman, instantly relaxing at the mere sight of her. "I expected you to be awake earlier." He responded playfully, a grin toying on his lips.

A giggle came from Evelyn as she swayed around the pirate, coming to his side. The pair of life long friends turned to face the open, starry water. Evelyn placed her hands on top of the railing, looking down at the mystical pool before her.

Jack's shoulder brushed up against Evelyn's, allowing his scent to fill her nose. It changed slightly. The pirate seemed to smell more of salt water mixed with rum.

Evelyn found herself letting out a content sigh. "So, what comes next?" She found herself asking allowed. There was uncertainty in herself, for she wondered if she was talking to Jack or a loud to herself.

The captain tilted his head to look to Evelyn and she found herself meeting his dark eyes. Evelyn could always see the adoration in Jack's eyes when he looked at her. She knew of the small bits of romantic feelings he felt towards her; however, Evelyn knew Jack loved her more as family in the end.

And Evelyn always welcomed more family.

"Well let's see," Jack turned his head forward again. "We drop you lot off to Port Royal, I have another heartbreaking goodbye with you and now Amelia, then I sail where ever the stars may lead me."

Evelyn let an amused breath slip through her nose while nodding. "Sounds like a plan."

"What about you?" Jack questioned, leaning forward on his forearms.

"Hmm?" Evelyn hummed her question.

"What comes next for you?" He asked, looking deep into her eyes.

"Ah." Evelyn nodded, bending over to lean against her forearms besides him. Her gaze held the starry illusion. "Well, my family and I return home, after a heart breaking goodbye of course." She teased looking at Jack, until he nodded while making a noise of agreement. Returning her starry gaze, she continued to speak. "We wait for Bootstrap to show up and then I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. I guess I'm just going to be at home with my children until they leave, then I guess it'll just be me and Will."

It didn't occur to Evelyn just now how much sadness the future held.

But as long as she had Will, she could tackle whatever life my throw at her.