chapter thirty-six | the one where it was a matter of time

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"You know Caleb?"

"We're friends."

She flushed, her knee jutting under the weight of her question. "Well, sometimes you have to do what you have to do..."

Veronica almost felt bad for her, she didn't mean to make her uncomfortable but seeing the type of questions she was asking, it was inevitable. She was surprised Elena was cooperating in the first place. She was transparent, that was evident to her, and a voice in her head coaxed her to take advantage of it - but no.

"Yeah. I'm sorry you had to go through this."

Elena shrugged, and Veronica hesitated. She still didn't get to the real question she wanted to ask, and it was right at the tip of her tongue. Because despite her conclusion, despite the glaringly obvious answer, it still could be different. It still meant her and Allen could've been together until she figured out her sexuality. It still meant he could've been in love with her.

"I wanted to ask you about Allen, actually."

Elena's brows pulled together, a little relieved the conversation tipped to something she felt more comfortable with. "What about him?"

"Were you with him?" Veronica paused. "Or..." she felt wrong asking, but it was burning her tongue, "or it was a cover too?" Now that the question left her lips she wasn't sure if she wanted any other answer than the one she was hoping for it to be.

She was about to answer. Her lips opened and the confirmation Veronica craved to hear was about to escape them-

"You don't give up, do you?"

Chloe had been restless.

She had arrived, knocked a few times, and was met with stoned silence. She had walked the entire hallway back and forth, went down to the ground floor to pick up candy from the vending machine, before going back up and repeating the process.

An hour later, she pressed her back and slid down the wall, sliding the orange M&M's she left uneaten on the tile. Her fingers played around to create random shapes, enthralled in the process, dipping her fingers inside the plastic bag to pick out more. She peeked inside, tipping it up and shaking it but nothing came out. She pursed her lips and heaved a sigh, picking the ones on the floor to put them back in the pack.

"What are you doing?"

"Jesus."

She jumped, despite Bilal's voice being barely audible. She shot her head up and met his gaze, looking down at her with his eyebrows itched together in a soft frown.

"Why didn't you call me?" He took in her state and outstretched his hand for her to take. "Were you waiting here for long?"

"No." She was quick to clasp her fingers around his palm, standing straight and dusting the back of her clothes. She was glad he wasn't here when she first arrived. Waiting gave her time to calm down and think. She offered a smile and he studied her warily, the tension between them increasing exponentially.