rewrite the stars [tom]

Love was a delicate yet simple concept.

If you cherish love, you get to keep it, but that meant you could easily lose it if you wander too far from it till you forget how to. You had seen it in movies, read about it in books, but it wasn't until your own heart strings were pulled on constantly for months that you knew the feeling of love. It was a blessing, but something that kept you up at night and made you wonder if you loved him enough. Did he even love you back?

It had been a few months since you and Tom broke up, but you were starting to get used to life without him. Even though you didn't even date for a year, you both thought you were each other's "forever". The night you broke up is one of few memories you can remember verbatim.

The argument wasn't so much yelling, but running into a bunch of misunderstandings that you didn't know about until that final moment. Both of you wanted different things and aspired to go different places, too busy fantasizing that you never realized how completely opposite your lives were headed from one another's.

You remember how exhausted you were, but you lost track of time with how heated you two became. After Tom walked away and slammed the front door, you stood in silence and leaned your hands against the top of the couch. When you stopped sniffling, you heard the birds chirping outside and the dark-orange sunlight gleamed through the blinds of your windows.

While you dealt with feeling guilty, Tom was angry and upset because he thought he knew everything. He admitted, he was stubborn sometimes, but you brought out the softer side in him. Tom grew bitter from it, putting up his guard and disregarding the feelings he felt from it. He tried to forget, but it was so hard to ignore words he couldn't take back.

It was mid-morning when you arrived at your friend's wedding, the light wind rustling the leaves of the big trees surrounded by the estate and the cobblestone driveway leading up to the open doors. Everyone walked in with their dates, linked arm in arm or one around the shoulders. You decided not to go with anyone, but you were beginning to regret that decision when you noticed almost everyone showed up with a date.

When you entered through the mansion, you heard your heels click against the granite floors. The house has been in the family since the nineteenth century, but the family had given it a modern touch because they made it their summer home when they went out to the countryside of Wales.

You'd rarely traveled from England, but seeing the scenery on the car ride there made it worth it. Early summer was warm, the frost melted away and colorful flowers bloomed again after light rainfall in spring. It was a time to feel free and grow, but all you could think of was it was around the time you met Tom a year ago.

You brushed the ends of your forest green dress, making sure the ends were flat to prevent any more embarrassment you could feel. You felt the stares of old women staring at your legs, murmuring to themselves about how revealing your dress was.

As you looked over your shoulder at them, your heel stuck between the stones which twisted your ankle and made you lose your balance, but you fell into the arms of a stranger.

"Thanks." You huffed, relieved you didn't face-plant in front of an entire crowd.

"Don't mention it." They smiled, fixing their tie.

After you made sure your heels weren't scuffed, you looked back up and were taken back by the familiar pair of light-blue eyes. You widened your eyes from the surprise of seeing Harrison, remembering how blue his eyes actually were, almost icy. His hair was a lot darker, more of a brunette than his usual dirty blonde. Just like the seasons, people can change too.

"Hey Y/N." Harrison grinned. "You look good."

"T-Thanks, um, so do you." You smiled, putting your hair in your face behind your ear.