couple of kids [peter parker]

It had been a week and a half of seclusion in your small apartment.

Pictures taken out of frames were disposed on top of the garbage in thin shreds. Presents cluttered in one of two boxes labeled "throw away" or "donations". Until everything was stored away, you never realized what two years of someone being a part of your life looked like until it was stripped so suddenly.

Your living room oddly represented how you felt inside and out. Four white walls acting as the barrier to your friends, family, and other loved ones and if they somehow slipped through, the thick coats of paint supported by your lies and excuses of being okay kept them at bay.

The heartbreak Ethan caused wasn't the end of you; You still showered, but only changed into sweats or something that didn't hug to your body. You still ate, only when you felt hungry, though your appetite was slowly diminishing by the day. You still slept, but only for small periods throughout the night when you weren't tossing and turning in a bed that once occupied two people.

You weren't sure if the peaceful silence was a blessing or a curse, maybe even both. On one hand, the quietness left you to be alone with the sound of your favorite music bouncing off your walls, the lyrics drowning your thoughts. But, on the other hand, you were surrounded by memories of someone who didn't want you back and made you too insecure to show your face to anyone outside your barrier, the comfort zone.

Brown cardboard boxes were scattered on the bedroom floor and stored with mementos, becoming bittersweet gifts you knew you didn't think you would throw away. You were halfway through the purge, imagining before that you'd turn a new leaf and feel like you were able to breathe. Instead, the cracks in your heart were burrowing further and a heavier weight added to your weak shoulders. You let a few tears roll down your cheeks before fleeing to the kitchen to make another cup of tea to calm you down.

You called your mom earlier in the week, asking her how to get stains out of your white pillowcases without ruining them. Of course, she told you how to but she wondered why you had been crying. After spilling the words from your lips, a more bitter tears rolled down your cheeks and she could hear the breaking of your voice. She let you sob for a few seconds, giving her time to also take in the information. She never heard you so sad and unhappy that it was breaking her own heart.

"Have you told Peter?" She asked.

You cleared your throat, "No.. not yet, at least."

Peter was your best friend, there was never a doubt about it. Since you met as kids, you grew together but also helped each other to grow. He was your shoulder to cry on, the person that held an umbrella for you on rainy days and protected you like no one else had. You were his ear, as if you were a journal who listened to his problems, his struggles and home life. You were the reliable girl that rubbed his back when he broke into tears from how stressed he could get and hugged him when he doesn't have to ask.

Many people, including your parents, called you inseparable which was basically true. Your mom always joked about how you two would get married someday. She stated that the "crazy fog" would lifted from your brain and you would finally realized Peter was your prince charming.

Of course, you detested the idea knowing how honest you and Peter were about your friendship for that to never happen. At times, it was frustrating being constantly being told you would be a great couple when it was merely a close friendship. At first, you and Peter found those kinds of statements awkward, but as you matured to the little assumptions, you both embraced it and joked about the rumors people made up.

You thought if you ever got this low in life, he would be the first person's arms you run into. Someone you knew too well and trusted with your secrets and insecurities. Strangely, Peter was the last person you wanted to go to right now.