four words [boxer!tom]

A single strip of the sunrise peeked through the curtains, overlaying the abundant white comforter that warmed you and Tom throughout the early morning. Articles of clothing, from both of you, were thrown in random areas of the room the previous night and left all over the wooden floor.. The dark-red lipstick, you stained on your lips to match your black dress, was left against Tom's soft skin, trailing from the start of his jaw to end of his abdomen. The color almost matched the bruises he was left with fight after fight, old ones not given the chance to heal before jaundice-like new ones developed.

His arms were wrapped around your waist, the front of his toned body meeting the back of yours like two puzzle pieces. Tom's lips met your ear, kissing your lobe before moving to your rosy cheek. Your eyes fluttered awake, stretching your body which gave Tom more access to your neck. A light chuckle left his lips, smiling against your skin before his fingers tucked your hair behind your ear.

"Good morning, darling." His voice was hoarse. His brown curls were disheveled, falling on his forehead as he laid back down while you rolled over to lay on him. "Good morning." You grin, your fingers lightly tracing along his chest, admiring the lipstick stains you left on his sculpted figure. Before the two of you could settle more into the mattress, Tom rose his left arm above him to check the time on his watch.

"Shit." He cursed, a sudden boost from fear got him on his feet. You furrow your eyebrows as you watch him pulling his jeans up from his ankles, trying to find his black t-shirt. "What?" You ask, pulling the comforter against you to cover your chest. "I'm late." Tom mutters, slipping one boot on after the other.

You knew those words too well nowadays. Ever since Tom's name headlined months ago, his training was getting more serious and his free-time during his days were limiting. You sighed, wishing he could take some sort of personal day for once but this career meant so much to him. Although you didn't meet when he started, you were there for him as he struggled to get where he is now. The next thing you had both hoped for is popping the important question, ready to call him yours and you were his.

After Tom pulled out a new shirt from his drawer, his one hand pushed into the bed as he leaned over and left a kiss on the center of your forehead. Tom kept it there long before he pulled away, his thumb on your cheek and brushing his nose against yours. "I'll call you when I'm on my way home." He smiles, kissing you softly and grabbing his gym bag. He left the door open behind him, letting you hear the front door of the apartment shut and your smile was still painted on your lips. You knew that the day was coming soon.

When Tom quickly sped-walked through the door, his trainer and Harrison were sitting on the edge of the ring. Tom ignored their silence, swiftly unzipping the duffle to change for practice. "Want to explain why you're twenty minutes late?" His trainer asks. "Got caught up.." Tom muttered, sitting on the bench and slipping off his shoes. "No, you don't just say you got caught up.. I want an explanation." He heard the annoyance in his trainer's voice and Tom stopped in the midst of getting changed.

"I was with my girlfriend, okay?" Tom looked at him. His trainer shook his head slightly, nodding to how this wasn't just an excuse, it was the same excuse he always got every-time Tom was late. "Is there something so wrong with that?" Tom added. "You're distracted, you're not focused and now you're not even showing up for practices on-time." His trainer leaned against the ring and Tom nodded his head. "Do you want to do better than you've been doing, Tom?" His trainer asked and Tom stands on his feet, making solid eye contact with him. "Yeah.." Tom breathed. "Then you have to stop getting distracted." His trainer simply said.

Tom furrowed his eyebrows, "What? You want me to break-up with my girlfriend over this?" His tone was hostile. "I'm not telling you anything, I'm just saying that if you want to make this your career, you're gonna have to change some things.. Priorities." His trainer spoke with taut. His trainer has been with him since Tom was a teenager and decided that this is what he really wanted. He grew with him, he watched Tom grow as a fighter and he didn't want to see Tom work this hard only to stop. It wasn't for his own benefit, but for Tom and knowing he couldn't turn back time. "You want to focus? You want to train? You want to win? Then, things are going to have to change." His trainer's last words of advice echoed throughout the empty gym. Tom and Harrison exchanged a quick look to one another, but Tom knew he had to make this up on his own. But, all he needed to focus on now was the fight coming up in a few days.