Golden

Requested by: kitkattothemaxhxhch2

Lassie had been with Peter for a few months now.

Ever since the incident with Vulture and other smaller missions aswell as family drama, Peter thought he could handle it, and he had...for a while.

He didn't have nightmares, or have images flash across his mind every 5 minutes.

But a few months ago, he'd been on a mission with Wanda and Steve. They had to find hostages taken in by Hydra.

Everything had been going smoothly. Everything he'd seen, everything he knew...it was with him. He pushed through the pain and images and got on with it, until the building began to shake and crumble.

They got the last of the hostages out just before the building collapsed.

But one didn't get out.

Peter had ran back inside and helped them out, however it left him in there.

The building fell, collapsing on top of him.

From that moment, he was back there again. He was right from the Vulture's grip, the smell of smoke and dust surrounding him. Blazing fires burning his hands. All of it...it was back like it had only just happened.

He tried calling out like he'd done that day, but nothing came out. His breathing quickened in pace, he could hear the pounding of his own heart in his ears and was trying to control it but he couldn't.

It felt as if walls were closing in on him. His vision becoming blured and faint shouts of his name could be heard in the distance, just about.

Wanda managed to lift up up the rubble with her powers and Steve jumped over, finally finding Peter, his pulse shortening but he was still alive. He was out cold.

Scooping him up, they got onto the jet and flew him back to the compound.

After that, all Peter saw were images of Vulture, darkness, crumbling buildings, trapped families which he couldn't do anything about, yells of his parents shouting after him at the Stark Expo, watching the blood pour from his uncle as he lay there on the ground.

So...since Peter had moved out of the compound and had his own apartment, Wanda came and brought along a friend.

A Labroador Retriver cross.

She was golden in color and one of the cutest dogs anyone could have ever seen.

"Peter, I know your suffering." Wanda frowned.

"Who told you?" Peter asked.

"They didn't have to. Natasha found out about what happened that night with Vulture and I know that's what you keep seeing."

Peter mumbled, "Among other things."

"So, I thought she could help," Wanda smiled, "I have a friend down at the dog shelter, she was a service dog for an old veteran who passed away just over a month ago. He died in his sleep through old age so the nephew brought her to the dog home, they couldn't get hold of the service so she stuck with them."

Peter chuckled, "I could do with a friend around here," He said as he rubbed her fur.

"She likes you." Wanda smiled as Lassie jumped forward towards Peter, licking his face causing him to laugh.

"I guess she does." He laughed.

"What's her name?" Peter asked before noticing her collar tag.

"Lassie." He smiled

Wanda smiled, "It was the old veteran use to call her, he was Scottish too. It just seemed to stick."

"Well it's very nice to meet you Lassie." Peter smiled.

"Thankyou Wanda, for everything." Peter smiled looking towards her.

"Eh, it's no bother, besides over the few years I've known you, you usually throw yourself into danger so I'm glad someone's here to watch over you. I already have my hands full with Bucky and Sam, aswell as Clint now."

Peter was shocked, "God, what happened there?"

"Well as of last month, it seems Clint has basically joined the life and death brigade."

Peter nodded, "So they've pranked Nat, together?"

Wanda nodded. "Yep. I think Clint's gonna have to call you in as his second since Natasha tried to kill him for the fifth time today, however that was just before I left so more numbers might be added to that. Tony's had to change the over ride codes so Natasha can't get to his room and kill him in his sleep, aswell as Bucky and Sam. Although I think Steve keeping those two safe."

Peter chuckled. "Well tell Clint I'll be his second but if Nat wants to kill him...i don't think i'll be able to stop her.

Wanda smiled, "I'll be sure to pass on the message"

Ever since then Lassie stayed by Peter's side, helping him out whenever he had a panic or anxiety attack. She'd help him calm down from nightmares which he'd have in the middle of the night.

From then, it proved dog really was man's best friend.