Chapter 32: Losing Herself

As she flew to Diana, Akko cast a reinforcement spell and the broken drone parts formed a gauntlet around her left hand. "Get on!"

Diana flung a leg over the broom and grabbed her waist. Akko pointed the broom towards the skylight and zoomed up. Green light from her wand surrounded the gauntlet. She leaned forward and punched ahead. "Nozka Falira!"

The skylight shattered and they flew out of the room. Below, she could hear Fafnir coughing. She guided the broom away and closed her eyes. Her hand held Diana's as she imagined Luna Nova's gate. "Luna Nova! 3... 2... 1..."

When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see that they were still in Rastaban. "What...? Why didn't it work? We're outside!"

"His stronghold extends further than we thought," said Diana.

In the distance, they heard a rumbling sound. Pillars were rising about half a mile from the main gate. Immediately, Akko leaned forward and raced towards them. She didn't want to find out what those pillars were for and was determined to get beyond its range. From the corner of her eye, a broom materialized beside them and Diana grabbed it.

"I'll follow!" Diana let go and mounted her broom.

Although she felt more secure with Diana close by, Diana realized that two people on a broom would be slower. She hoped that they could make it together. Red light crackled around the pillars and spread like a spider web from pillar to pillar.

"It's a barrier! Faster, Akko!" yelled Diana who raced past her.

Akko urged her broom to go faster. From behind, there was a rumble of stone grinding on stone, followed by a loud roar. She glanced behind to see Fafnir flying from a large hole on the roof.

"Akko!" Diana had reached the pillars and she was casting a spell.

Akko recognized the spell which would create a long, magical rope. Diana would try to pull her to the pillars, so she leaned forward and stretched her hand as far as she could. Diana flicked her wand and the magical rope raced in her direction. She caught it and smiled.

Suddenly, something crashed into the rope and broke it. By the pillars, several drones surrounded Diana. Rumbling came from the ground and Akko pulled up in time to avoid a boulder that rose from the soil.

A quick glance behind her revealed that Fafnir was casting. She'll have to deal with him later. Diana was in trouble. Akko fired Murowa spells as fast as she could at the drones. Some hit, but the damage wasn't enough to destroy the drones. Akko focused more to add power to the spell.

The top of the pillars sparked and red lightning hit the drones. The lightning formed into glowing red armor. Akko fired Murowa which hit the armor. The armor faded slightly but the drone didn't take any damage. "Just great," thought Akko. "Now they're harder to stop."

Meanwhile, Diana whipped the magical rope around a boulder and smashed the boulder into a drone. Despite the armor, the drone fell in pieces.

"That's it! The armor only defends against magic attacks!" thought Akko. She didn't know how to cast a magical rope so she improvised by levitating boulders and pushing them with Murowa. A boulder hit a drone which fell in a ball of flame. Akko pumped her fist. "Yeah!"

She heard a high pitched sound from above and was shocked to see red spears speeding towards her. She quickly cast a shield and dodged as many as she could. There were a lot and her shield got hit several times, so she tried to find cover among some trees while avoiding boulders that rose from the ground. She flew as close as she could to where Diana was.