Chapter 27: The Last One

Yawning and stretching, Diana reached to her right and was surprised that Akko wasn't there. Akko often slept late, so she expected to wake up before her. As she walked to the toilet, she heard urgent voices downstairs. After refreshing herself, she went down and followed the commotion to the kitchen. Black smoke was coming from a pan and batter was splattered on the walls and ceilings. Akko was covered in batter and was cowering before an irate Anna. A wand was in her hand.

"What happened?"

"Oh, Miss! Please watch your step, or better yet, please don't come in until we clean this up."

"Don't worry." Diana cast a spell to clear a path to Akko. The batter on the floor was collected into the nearest waste bin. "What did you do?"

Akko looked away and tapped her index fingers. "I... um... wanted to make you breakfast."

"This is my fault, Miss. I should've watched her more carefully," said Anna.

The chef was on vacation so no one was in the kitchen to supervise Akko. Her nose wrinkled at the smell of burnt food. She took Akko's hand and looked for any burn marks. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"No."

"I'm glad you weren't hurt."

"I asked Carter to turn off the gas just in case," said Anna.

"Good thinking. Now, I think I remember telling you not to blow up the manor."

Akko looked at the floor. "I'm sorry."

"For that, you must be punished."

Akko cringed and swallowed nervously. "You're right. I'm responsible."

Diana slapped the back of her hand lightly. "There. From now on, you are banned from cooking in this kitchen until further notice. Please try not to blow up the manor."

A smile returned to that previously sad face. "Ok!"

"Please take a bath. We'll get breakfast in town."

"Give me a few minutes! I'll be right back!" Akko rushed out.

With a spell, Diana cleaned up most of the batter and let the maid handle the rest. Meanwhile, Carter checked the gas stove to make sure it still worked properly. She went upstairs to prepare for their trip to town.

Diana met Akko downstairs. Akko was wearing a simple t-shirt, shorts and sandals which were a good choice since it was sunny outside. They went to the stable to get Alco. Akko fed Alco hay cubes while Diana saddled him.

"It seems like yesterday when we first rode to town," said Akko.

"Yes. You were so nervous on Alco. I could feel you clinging to me."

Akko blushed. "Sorry..."

"It's all right." She looked at her slyly. "I like it."

Akko blushed even more. They mounted and were off at a brisk pace. When they reached the main road, Akko scooted closer and leaned her head on her shoulder.

"Are you tired?" asked Diana.

"No. I thought you like this," whispered Akko, tickling her ear.

"Oh..." This time, it was Diana's turn to blush. Her left hand let go of the reins to hold Akko's hand around her waist. "I like having you near."

They tied Alco near Ticy's and got a booth in the corner. After they ordered, Akko asked, "May you hold something for me?"

"All right." Diana held her left hand out.