Chapter 42: The Pledge, Part 2

Since she still felt dizzy when she stood, Akko ate dinner in bed.  Diana tried to feed her but she gently refused since she wanted to prove that she was getting better so Diana wouldn't worry.   After Diana moved the bed tray and dishes to the cart, Akko held her hand and made her sit on the bed.  "I'm sorry for making you sad."

Diana turned away.  "It's alright."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

She squeezed her hand.  "I'm sorry."

"I-it's fine..."

"Lotte told me."  Diana still didn't look at her so she hugged her.  "I'm sorry."  Diana turned her head and cried into her shoulder.  Akko stroked her back.  "I'm sorry that I scared you."

"I... I thought... the dimension... it took you..."

"I had Shiny Rod, so I was able to port away with the dragons."  She kissed her cheek.  "I'm here now.  Even if I go away, I'll always come back to you."

They hugged for a while then there was a knock on the door.  "Miss... are you done?"

Diana quickly wiped her tears and moved the cart with dirty dishes to the door.  "Yes."  The maid took the cart and left.  "Are you ready for a sponge bath?"

Akko blushed.  "Can't I just... y'know... take a regular bath?"  With a sly smile, she added softly, "Maybe with you?"

Diana blushed as she gently flopped a rolled towel on her head.  "Naughty girl!  Besides, you can't stand.  Take your shirt off."

"Ehehehe... I won't have to stand if you float me."  She winked.

"I suppose that could work.  But only if you promise to tell me before you get too excited.  Telling me just before you pass out is very inconvenient."

"Yay!"

------

Akko hoped to spend some private time with Diana after the rescue operation, but instead, she spent most of the time sleeping.  It was Saturday already, and they would have to return to Luna Nova tomorrow.  That afternoon, she heard heavy footsteps outside.  Upon opening the drapes, she saw Fafnir come to the window.  He had a heavy brace around his head and he walked with a limp.  Gudrun followed him from a distance.  She opened the window, leaned out and waved, "Hey, Gramps!"

Her legs felt wobbly and her torso pitched forward.  "Eeek!"

Fafnir exhaled his breath forcefully which pushed her into the room.

"Akko!"  Diana grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the window. 

"Be careful, brat!" yelled Fafnir.

"Are you alright?" asked Diana. 

"Yeah... just a bit... winded..."  She winked.

The worry melted from Diana's face and she chuckled.  "He's right though.  Please be more careful."  She put her arm around her waist.

"Come to Rastaban next Saturday.  We have much to plan," said Fafnir.

"Akko is still recovering.  Why hurry?" asked Diana.

"You humans are gone in a blink of an eye.  That's why."

"I prefer that Akko is fully recovered.  We also have our studies to do."

"You can't keep her from the world.  Was your pledge an idle boast?"

Diana looked away from Fafnir.  "I...  I just..."