Chapter 39: A Dragon's Dream

Akko's reactions ranged from confusion, surprise and embarrassment as she read the new Nightfall book. Diana smiled at her amusing expressions.

"What does adorkable mean?" asked Akko.

"It's a combination of dork and adorable," said Lotte as she cut a piece of strawberry.

"Ehhh... if Nadia is like Diana, that means Arca is like me? And it says Arca is adorkable?"

"Yup," said Sucy.

"Why do you agree so quickly?" pouted Akko.

"It's spot on." Amanda flicked a grape into her mouth.

Akko read a bit more. "Wow... I didn't think she'd write about us! I'll ask her about this next time." She returned the book to Lotte. She put a large spoonful of figgy pudding in her mouth. Some pudding clung at the corner of her mouth.

"Next time? You know the author?" asked Amanda.

Akko nodded. "Nn. We met her last year."

"Oh, that's right!" exclaimed Lotte. "But how does she know about you?"

"I guess she must've overheard us."

"Where?" asked Diana as she wiped pudding from Akko's mouth.

"In that big public garden in town. She hangs out there."

"What does she look like?"

"Long blonde hair, purple eyes, short. Oh, and she wears these big headphones."

Diana was surprised. She had seen her from time to time during their picnics and didn't feel concerned about her presence. "That's her? She looks like a child!"

"I was surprised too! But she's really talented." Lotte explained how the authors of Night Fall were chosen.

"I see. I've seen her occasionally." Diana sighed. "If I had known, I would've..." She bit her lip and looked away. She ought to be more careful.

"Would've done less naughty things with Akko?" said Amanda with a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Amanda!" exclaimed Lotte who blushed.

"Hey, it's in here." Amanda tapped the book. "I haven't heard you deny anything she wrote."

Diana stood, her blush noticeable. "Hmmmph. I have other work to do, so I'm going to get started on homework."

As they returned their trays, they agreed to meet later to do homework in the library.

Diana noticed that Akko slowed her pace so she slowed down too so that they trailed behind their friends. Akko squeezed her hand. "I'm sorry. I should've thought about what Annabel might do."

"It's all right. I just feel embarrassed. What we did is similar to what normal couples do and the background descriptions aren't malicious in nature. Her new characters are helping the heroine solve the mysterious plot."

"I'm partly to blame for picking the garden for our picnics. And uh... um... for sitting on your lap." She blushed.

"But we kept coming back even though it's a public place. We're both at fault for being... a little too affectionate."

Akko whispered near her ear. "I can't help it. My fiancée is too pretty."

She could feel her cheeks warm up. "I'd kiss you right now if we were alone."

Akko winked. "Maybe later?"

Lewd thoughts formed in her mind. Akko only suggested kissing but her mind plunged into the gutter. She mustn't think about it so she walked faster.