Chapter 40: The Gate to the Unseen

"So what did you want to show us?" asked Diana.

Constanze walked over to the tables with the models and gestured with an extravagant bow.

"It's finished?!" exclaimed Akko. Constanze nodded and flicked her finger. "Turn it on? Turn what on? The model? What do you mean?"

"It would've been easier to just carve it from wood. Not so. It's a working model," said Eisen proudly. "She wanted to surprise you."

"Whoa! In that case, sure! Turn it on!" Constanze gestured to Diana and pointed to a block near two large arches. "Why do you want Diana to do it?"

Constanze activated her wand and illuminated the block. A large image of the block formed above the table. The Cavendish crest was etched on its slanted surface. In the middle of the crest was the outline of a hand.

"We reinforced it just in case you really needed to touch it but don't press too hard," said Eisen.

"All right." Diana tapped the block gently. Nothing happened. She carefully pressed her finger over the crest and the block glowed with a soft light. Constanze stared intently at the block, her brows twitching in thought. She moved her lips but made no sound.

"Cons thinks it may need an incantation," said Amanda. "Do you have any special Cavendish spells to open gates?"

"Hmmm... I'll have to look in my archives," said Diana. She lifted her finger and the block stopped glowing.

-----

With permission from the Headmistress, she and Akko went home that weekend to look. They started in the main library in the morning then went to the underground archives in the afternoon. They wrote down spells that might work into a list. After dinner, Diana said, "Go ahead and start with homework. I want to open my bequest."

"What's that?"

"My mother imbued about a dozen orbs with messages and advice. She hoped that by reading my future, she could assist me after she had gone beyond. There is one per year. I usually open it after new year. Since we were in Japan and then went to school soon after, I haven't had a chance to look at it."

"Whoa... that sounds cool. Do you mind it if I see it?"

"In that case, let's go." She offered her arm which Akko took with a wide grin. They walked to her room. Diana unlocked a chest with a spell and took the orb for the year. She placed the orb on the pedestal on her desk and chanted the activation spell. Meanwhile, Akko sat on the guest chair next to her.

Her mother's image flickered from within and her heart ached at the sight. "How are you, my dear Diana? I hope you are well. By this time, you should've realized who your future wife will be. My readings indicate that she is quite an energetic witch. I didn't see correspondences with any of the major witch families so I can't guess her lineage. I wish I could've met her."

'Dear mother... you have no idea...' thought Diana as she smiled.

"I hope that my special instructions were useful." Her mother winked. Diana's smile faded as her cheeks blushed. She glanced at Akko nervously and hoped that she wouldn't realize what her mother meant.

Her mother spoke seriously. "Last year, I warned you to be diligent and careful. I imagine it was quite challenging for you. This year is even more challenging since you'll have to decide. The events of last year have been leading up to this decision." Worry lined her gentle face. "I'm sorry, Diana. I wasn't able to do it. I wish I could've done it but my time was short. Now, I must tell you this so you can make your decision."