09 | Shop till we drop

Betty sat there in the cold room as she looked up at the ceiling, thinking about what she would say to Kevin.

She didn't want to believe that he was her friend for Sarah's benefit, but what Sarah said that day really got to her. Even when Betty was in a hospital bed, just waking up from a comma she was in for a few weeks from trying to commit suicide, she was still talking shit about Betty.

She felt anger build up in her body. She was tired of getting hurt all the time by the one person she used to love. She was tired of being treated like a piece of shit.

She was done being the victim.

Betty shot up when she heard a soft knock at the door. She slightly smiled when she saw her best friend walk inside the room. "Hey, Kev."

Kevin made his way towards Betty's bed and sat down in front of her. "Hey, B."

Betty sighed as she looked down, her mood automatically changing. "I'm sorry."

"Hey...."

Betty looked up and looked into Kevin's sad filled eyes. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I know you aren't my friend for Sarah's benefits, it was just the heat of the moment. I was just so angry, I still am angry. Why the hell does she despise me so much? What did I ever do to her?!"

Kevin quickly put a hand on Betty's arm. "B, breathe."

Betty took a deep breath, calming down. "I'm sorry, I―"

"―Stop apologizing Betty, you didn't do anything wrong. You have all the right reasons to be mad." Kevin said reassuringly.

Betty flashed him a small smile. "Thanks, Kev."

"Now, do you want to explain to me why a certain Jones keeps asking me about you?" Kevin asked, raising an eyebrow, getting a roll of the eyes from Betty in response.

"For someone who has a girlfriend, he sure is asking about you a lot―and plus, you already told him you don't mess with jocks, why doesn't he get it?" Kevin chuckled.

"Wait, he has a girlfriend?"

Already? Who? Betty wondered.

Kevin stopped chuckling and looked at Betty. "You don't know....?"

Betty furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head.

"He....he's dating Sarah." Kevin said hesitantly.

Betty's eyes went a little wide. "O-oh." She said softly, looking down.

"But....you don't like him anyways, right?"

Betty shook her head. "Mm-mm."

"Bullshit, I know when you're lying, B." Kevin said, raising an eyebrow. "If you like him, just tell him, because no doubt will he drop Sarah in a second and pick you."

Betty scrunched up her nose. "I would prefer not to be a second choice. And plus, I don't like him."

Kevin gave Betty a look as if he didn't believe her. Which he didn't.

"But guess what." Betty said, changing the subject.

Kevin raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "What?"

"Archie texted me and said he likes me."

Kevin's eyes widened. "No way. I forgot all about your adorable crush on him."

Betty rolled her eyes and smiled.

"So, are you going to make your move?" Kevin asked with excitement.

Betty quickly shook her head. "What? No. Absolutely not."