Whale Island

(Y/N) POV - 3720 words

I would like to put the A/N at the top this time, so more people see it. For those of you who are still interested, thank you so much! It means a lot that you've stuck around despite my random disappearance. I hope you enjoy, as always, and despite the lack of updates I have a lot planned. Happy New Year and thank you for your patience <3

Whale Island, Gon's home. The surrounding ocean sparkles brightly, and the air seems lighter. A breeze ruffles our hair as the island comes into view.

"Cheerful, isn't it?" I ask quietly with a hint of bitter wistfulness. Killua huffs out a laugh from beside me in agreement. Gon had been running around on the deck of the ship for the entirety of the trip. His excited energy could tire someone out just from watching him.

My thoughts drift as I continue to stare out at the waves. I'm reminded of the tidepools from Zevil Island and the ocean near my home. I have maps of the world memorized, but I let that knowledge drift out of my head, wondering how they were the same ocean.

Speaking of my home, I think of Korako and his own journey. I feel like an empty-nester, a proud mother who sent her only child off to college. I hope he's doing well. It's been a while since he's contacted me, and judging by our last interaction, I guess it's probably better to let him reach out first. I know he found Kurapika, and I know he's alive. As long as he's happy, I can't complain. I also know for a fact he's happy—which brings me back to our last interaction. 

There weren't any words exchanged, only a sharp jolt of mental connection. It was a very overwhelming feeling, and it was very very warm. Uncomfortably so. I immediately sent a question and was met with a barrier moments later. I decided at that moment not to press any further and have gone about my own business. I truly feel like, even though I haven't known him for very long, he's like a teenage son who doesn't want me meddling. That's fine with me—I understand the feeling.

Though I no longer have anyone to meddle, I assume it would be incredibly annoying. I take a deep breath and drag my eyes back to the island growing ever closer. Killua went to talk to Gon a few minutes prior, so I was left to admire the waves as they lapped against the side of the ship.

"Aunt Mito!" Gon yells at the top of his lungs. We were way too far away for anyone to hear us, but Mito turns around anyways. The boy sure can yell.

"Aunt Mito!" he continues yelling as he runs up the hill, waving. Even before the ship docked in the harbor, he'd jumped and took off at a sprint—presumably—in the direction of his house. Killua and I shared a look before hurriedly following, though at a slightly slower pace. We didn't want to interrupt their tearful reunion.

Gon falls into Mito's arms with the largest smile on his face, "I'm home, Aunt Mito."

"Welcome home, Gon," she replies, a smile on her face which seems like it alone could light up Whale Island. It must run in the family.

Killua walks slightly behind me, his energy seems gentle and calm, almost like a fawn. Mito looks up and smiles at us, too, and something within her eyes makes me feel understood. I can't help but smile back. It does feel good to relax and enjoy life... every once in a while.

"You must be Killua and (Y/N), right?" Mito asks. I nod, reciprocating smile still on my face. Killua makes a surprised noise from behind me. Perhaps he felt uninvited or uncomfortable in the atmosphere. It was a very stifling level of familial joy.

We reach Gon and Mito, still embracing. It strikes me just how much Gon must've missed his Aunt.

"Hello, Ma'am. It's so nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you, I feel like I already know who you are," I begin, leading with manners. It's always best to begin with respect, and if Gon's words are any indication, Mito is a woman to be respected.