Chapter 40: Never letting go \ The Wrong Thing For The Right Reason

Börja om från början

Canada seemed to realize he had only nodded and once again spoke in a hushed tone before ending the call. He nervously looked up at the worried states around him before muttering loud enough for everyone to hear, "We need to head over to the hospital, and quickly."

DC opened his mouth and paused briefly before asking the question everyone wanted an answer to, "What happened?"

Canada looked down at the ground, his expression almost unreadable. There were so many emotions shoved into his expression that DC couldn't name a single one anymore.

"Puerto Rico's in the hospital, and Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island have gone missing," Canada paused before adding, almost apologetically, "They... The doctors think Puerto Rico is going to die."

DC's heart dropped as he almost limply fell backwards into the wall behind him.

Puerto Rico was...

And Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island were...

Sudden hopelessness crashed down onto DC, his mind racing to the worst conclusions, which only served to make him even more hopeless.

No...

It can't end like this...

This can't be how it all ends!

This can't be...

But it was, wasn't it? The ending fate so cruelly spat into all of their faces. This ending DC and his siblings never chose, but will probably have to face. This ending...

This ending DC had hoped would never come true.

--x--

"Do you know where the nearest hospital is?"

The young-looking New Yorker stared at Alaska, her expression questioning and maybe even a little shocked. Alaska didn't blame her, it's not every day you see a countryhuman... or would Alaska be called a statehuman? Eh, whatever.

Alaska needed to get back. The hospital was a point of familiarity and, as much as Alaska didn't want to go back to where... he was... Alaska touched his neck gingerly, wondering if marks from Confederate choking him were still there. He wondered why Confederate stopped midway, why he didn't finish the deed and kill him.

Anyway, as much as Alaska didn't want to go back to where Confederate was, he didn't exactly have a choice. He was lost, and New York City was... to put it simply, New York City was not a place he's ever been before. Not to mention, he doesn't know where his siblings are and he can't stay lost forever. Russia's probably still around the hospital somewhere, so if Alaska can find Russia, then Russia can probably lead him to his siblings.

It was an optimistic, stupid hope... but it was the only option Alaska had, really. Maybe if he was smarter he could've figured out something else, but he... wasn't, I guess.

The New Yorker, hesitating a little bit, responded, "There's one down that street, you just go straight, straight, and then left."

Alaska smiled, already hurrying in that direction, "Thank you, miss!"

She waved goodbye, an expression of confused amusement on her face as Alaska ran off.

--x--

DC looked up at the hospital before him, a nervous feeling spread throughout his bones. They ended up being a little bit late, but here they were. DC bit his lip in worry as he followed Canada into the building. He hoped they weren't too late.

Once Puerto Rico's hospital room came into view- or at least the one Canada said was his room- DC felt his heart drop and, unable to stop himself, he started running towards it. The other states in the group jolted in surprise before running after him.