Chapter Eighteen

Steve's POV

Moving in with Vanessa wasn't as I had anticipated or maybe I wasn't anticipating anything. Her back house wasn't so bad after all. As I entered the house I thought, "Just until the company is finally handed over to me."

I particularly love the furnishing that welcomed me into the house. The curtain was a lovely bright coloured green stained with white, beautifully complementing the cream painting of the walls. The back house has just two room, a makeshift sitting room and the bedroom. In the sitting room was a sofa and a mini sized TV. I was starting to guess that Vanessa had taken her time to arrange the room in anticipation of my arrival.

It was just a week after my uncle's burial and I could already feel the gravity of the work I had to do from then on, but there was Vanessa who acted so normal. Sometimes I would look at her and wonder who it was that was taking over the business. School, at that time, was not anywhere in my mind.

When I was done cleaning up, I thought to go out a get a little fresh air. To think about it, it had been long since I took strolls. California was taking a lot from me.

My hand was touching the door knob when somebody else twisted it from outside. The door opened to reveal Vanessa who was holding a tray with a plate of potato chips.

"I thought you might be hungry," she said smiling.

"You didn't knock," I frowned sorry.

"Sorry." She said and pushed her way into the house.

"Hey, you shouldn't do that," I grumbled and followed her into the house as she sat on the only sofa present in the sitting room.

"Where were you going?" she placed the tray on the table and faced me.

"For a walk," I sat on the floor, my back to the wall. For some strange reason, I liked sitting like that. Staring into the most beautiful set of black eyes. Her eyes were so intoxicating I felt lost in them.

"Where? In the compound?" she asked.

"Yes, it's large enough," I said not taking me eyes away from her eyes.

"Okay, okay. I hope you like it in here." She was eating the chips she brought for me.

"I thought that was mine." I shoved the tray off the table into my arms raising my eyebrow at her.

Pouting she said, "I was helping you."

Looking at her facial expression, I burst out laughing. She laughed too.

"Your uncle dropped a letter for you," Vanessa said making the mood very tense.

"Why are you just telling me?" I bit my lip as I saw guilt flash through her eyes.

"I wanted the moodiness and mourning to reduce. No one has business on their minds during mourning," she said and I found her reasons understandable.

"Where is the letter?" I asked batting my eyes at her.

"It's here," I watched as she removed the neatly folded letter from her pocket and handed it over to me.

I collected it and kept fondling with it. Unsure of the contents, unsure on whether to read it or not.

"Won't you read it?" she was watching me play with it.

"Okay"

Summoning courage, I unfolded the letter and began to read within myself.

Dear Steve,
Now that you read this letter, I am dead. It is written in my will that the business should be handed over to you. However, you may face some difficulties because people have not come to know you well. Hence, I putting out a challenge to you.