Chapter Four

Still... Thanks for reading. I can't over appreciate you. Have fun reading this chapter.

Steve's POV

Okay yes, she was the one.
Looks like I was right when I thought we would see soon again. It's like her presence in this university was for our paths to keep crossing.
Isn't it funny? More than ten years in the same street yet our paths never crossed, but in just three months, we've been meeting as though it were fate.

"Steve meet Linda, Linda meet Steve. You guys get to know each other, I'm going to order," Bryan said and stood up, leaving only myself and Linda.

First trilling fact was I finally got to know her name. Linda.

"And so we meet again. Nice meeting you Linda." I said hoping that would start a reasonable conversation between us.

"Nice meeting you too Steve. It's more like we finally get to talk," she nodded and replied.

Now that I look at it, we did meet but we never had a reasonable conversation. Or one of us would talk and there would be no response from the other. We've been playing hide and seek for too long. An example of the day before where she just muttered good morning and ran off. That made me thinking maybe she actually had something to say to me.

So I asked, "Or, Do you have something you want to say to me?"

The reaction on her face was enough to make me smile. Once again, I was smiling not forced but genuine.

"Have something to say to you?" she replied still having that lost reaction on her face. Somehow I enjoyed seeing her look that way.

"Yeah, you said we finally get to talk like you've always been waiting for this moment, the moment we get to talk," I replied her.

"Oh," she said, her face showing she was starting to get my point. Her face gave her away too much.

"Not that, we've been meeting a lot without really saying anything to each other. Take a look at the fact that we didn't even know each other's name," she said and well of course I knew.

"We've been meeting?" I asked looking perplexed trying to play with her a little. I anticipated that lost look again. I was grinning on the inside.

I wasn't disappointed, that look came on her face again, the confused look. It was fun. I wanted to laugh but I held it in, that will only spoil the mood.

I saw she was about to talk, only then Bryan showed up with their food. Can you just imagine? He has the most horrible timing.

"Are you guys getting along well?" He asked.

I muttered "Of course," he just got in the way of somebody's conversation.

And that was it, the day we officially met, the day we knew each others name.

In the middle of eating, my phone rang beside me.

It was Jason, he said there was an emergency. I asked to be excused and I left. I wasn't so excited to leave. I was actually hoping I'd get the chance to still talk, but as though she was afraid of speaking, her face was just buried in the food. She only nodded to answer Bryan's question once in a while. I started to wonder how Bryan saw her as chatty.

When I got to my room, I met Jason with a plumber. Only to find out the emergency was a stupid broken tap. Just how is that an emergency. Well, maybe the fact that our rug was soaked in water was an emergency but still Jason was such a baby.

I retired to bed early, and woke up early to read for the exam I had later in the day.

At the break of dawn, I went out for my usual coffee. Once again, I met Susan.

As I was about to leave, she pulled me back.

"Can I please have a word with you?," Her voice sent tingles down my stomach. She still had the same effect on me.

It dawned on me she must have been waiting to talk to me. I chose to face it. Bryan was right I couldn't sulk over her for forever.

"Why do you think I would want to hear you out?" I asked as I saw her taking a seat.

"Please," she pleaded with her eyes. "Please sit and listen to me, please," she pleaded still, pointing to the empty seat in front of her.

"Okay," I said as I sat down in front of her, on the seat she pointed to.

"Thank you Steve. I don't know how to start, but most importantly I'm sorry," She said shocking me to the bones. Susan never apologizes for anything.

"You're apologizing?" I asked wondering in shock and amazement.

"Yes, I'm sorry for making you misunderstand, I'm sorry for hurting you, I'm sorry for making you wait..." she kept apologizing and I sat there, looking at her, all shocked and confused and...

I couldn't even define how I felt, but then, I could feel the broken pieces of my heart assemble as though I had solved a puzzle. Technically, the puzzle of my heart. I felt peace and all I wanted to do was hug her, so I did.

"I know I have been such a pain in your life, taking too much advantage of you and your love, but Steve I'm sorry. Being apart from you is hell"

"No problem Susan, no problem, we'll work it out." I said, still hugging her.

"No Steve, this time I'm giving my all, I won't let you suffer like before, I promise"
The plea in her voice promised me genuiness. I chose to trust it.

Susan and I got back together, that very hour. In that same hour I got my life back. The normal life with Susan in it.

Linda's POV

After dinner with Bryan and Steve (just the thought of the name sends butterflies to my belly), where Steve ran off due to some emergency.
Bryan and I talked more, and this time we exchanged contacts. I was starting to like the kind of person he was. Also, seemed we were starting to become good friends.

Bryan and I met much more. Felt like we were each others backbone. He was someone I could easily call when I felt down. We found it easy to talk to each other about our problems, fears and all. He was such a good friend.

I met Steve a couple more times with Bryan, I couldn't avoid it since they were best friends. Only we never really got to talk. It was just Hi and Bye. There was a day he was with a particular lady. Bryan introduced the girl as Steve's girlfriend (my crush had a girlfriend - heartbreak).
Just exchanging pleasantries, Steve and I got along well. At least he was now an acquaintance that I didn't run from anymore, and I saw his face as I pleased. I didn't have to peep through the windows of coffee shops anymore.
His girlfriend, Susan, was such a beautiful lady, and man did she have a good personality too. I felt bad for having a crush on Steve. Like anyone even cared about that. 

In no time exams were over, I went home. At least I was free from stress for that period of time. Bryan and Steve didn't go home. I wonder what those guys did in school. Home was fun. I met my friends, we hung out and all and all. In the twinkle of an eye, one month was over and I had to go back to school. Second semester was here.

Second semester started fine. First thing I did when I resumed was hook up with Bryan. There was too much distance during the hols. Susan and Steve were doing just fine too.  All good.

Second semester was all bliss and fine, less stress, more hangouts, a few parties not with Joan though. The girl's habit of partying was not from this world.

All was going on just fine, maybe that's the reason we never knew what it was that was coming our way. If only.

Yes, thanks so so much for reading. I love you guys. 😘😘
Don't forget to drop a comment and vote too