Chapter Six

I do hope you keep finding the book interesting, if it interests you, do well to click that vote icon. It won't hurt your finger😉.

Enjoy reading.

Steve's POV

"Dear God, please save my Susan", I didn't stop praying and hoping.

I ran into the hospital. They told me she was undergoing surgery, that I should wait. I waited for almost thirty minutes then a nurse came to call me in.

I entered the ward, and saw Susan's face covered. No, they had to be kidding me.

"Why is her face covered? Didn't she undergo surgery", I demanded staring into their faces. There were about three nurses and a doctor.

Nobody gave me an answer.
"Why is her face covered?", I demanded again, my voice a little louder. I started moving closer to remove the covering from her face.

"Mr Jones", The lady dressed as a doctor called my name.

"I'm Doctor Julia. I'm the doctor who performed the surgery. Can I have a word with you outside please?", she went out and hesitantly I followed her.

On getting out, the female doctor was telling me some shit. She said that too much blood had gotten to her brain, and in addition to that she had some internal bleeding. She said the complications where too much and due to the bleeding it was very difficult to see what they were operation. She was telling me she tried but Susan wasn't striving for life.

"I'm sorry Mr Jones, but we've done the best we can, there's nothing we can do any further. I'm sorry.", she said and went away.

That was a lie, the Susan I know would strive for life, she apologized. She said she wasn't going to hurt me again. She said she'd make up for all the time she made me wait. I was hurt, hurt more than ever.
In short what the doctor was trying to tell me was that Susan was dead. I couldn't believe my ears.

I went back into the room walking really slowly as though I expected a miracle to happen in such little time and if I took a longer time to get to her, she would be back from the dead. I moved closer to Susan's bed and found some courage to remove the covering on her face. Hoping her eyes would just open but no her beautiful eyes were closed. Her face was wet, I thought maybe she was crying feeling my pain, but no, I was the one who had made her face wet with my tears.
As I looked at her face, caressing her cheeks, I thought, I would never see her smile at me again, I would never see those beautiful eyes again stare at my face, I would never be able to hug her or hold her. Those were the thoughts that filled my heart.
I knelt beside her bed, weak in the knees and just held her lifeless hands admist tears.

Her parents showed up an hour later, her mum was shedding hot tears, I mean I couldn't blame her, I was crying harder.
After a while, I called Bryan and told him about it.

Linda's POV

Bryan's face turned white almost immediately after he picked the call. Making me to start getting worried. I could only hope nothing bad had happened to Steve while I waited for him to end the call. He dropped the call, I could swear that at that moment Bryan's eyes were red.

"Susan is dead", he looked at me and said, I don't know if it was imaginary but I saw a tear drop from his eyes.

"Susan is dead?", I exclaimed finding those words very very difficult to understand.

"Yes, Steve's girlfriend, Susan. She's dead. She got involved in an accident on her way to the mall and was rushed to the hospital, but she didn't make the surgery. She's dead",  he concluded.

My ears couldn't contain what it just heard. That beautiful lovely lady, the gentle one who looked so good with Steve was dead. I still couldn't believe my ears.

"I have to be on my way to the hospital. Steve said he's at Welling hospital", he stood up and took a sheet of paper from his pocket and started scribbling on it.

"What are you doing?", I said standing up also.

He handed me the sheet of paper with a phone number scribbled on it.

"That's Grace's number, help me call her and tell her I can't make tonight", he wanted to start going, I drew him back.

"You're making tonight, you have to, it could be your only opportunity. God forbid but what if she dies tonight or tomorrow too. Don't let this opportunity go. You don't want to regret anything later right. More so, if you have to cancel anything, do it yourself. Don't send me. I won't be the reason for any future pain.", I said hoping that would convince him.

"But Steve needs me more", he was in a real dilemma, and he was such a caring friend.

"You know what, we can both go to Steve and after you see him calm down, you can go on to your date, and I'll stay with him. Is that fine with you?"

I really hoped he agreed. He couldn't miss his one in a million chance. That was going to hurt me.

"Thanks Linda, let's go", he said.

We went to the hospital.
At the hospital, Steve seemed like he was a little calm but his eyes showed he had had his fill crying. 
Linda's parents were pained and hurt on the issue. Whose parents wouldn't be. Her mum couldn't stop crying no matter what anybody said. I felt really bad for them. Bryan and I went straight to Steve. We just looked at him, as though we didn't know what to say. All the communication was done through our eyes.

After a little while, Steve asked.
"Bryan, what of your date? Don't tell me you left that chance you've always be waiting for to be here"
As he asked I figured the care in their friendship wasn't one sided.
Although hurt, he still thought of his friend's feelings.

"I had to be here first. I couldn't bear going on a date and not seeing you.", Bryan said replying him.

"You can't be here. Go for your date. I'll be fine.", Steve said.

"You sure?", he wanted to make sure his friend was okay.

"Yes Bryan", Steve tried to reassure him that he was okay.

"Permit me to leave Linda with you. That way I'll be more assured that you're fine"

"Okay, no problem. If that's what you want", he agreed to let me stay.

After giving Steve a warm hug, Bryan left.

Not your regular right......
Awwww, we lost a lovely character 😢, we'll miss you Susan.
I can't stop appreciating you guys for reading this book. It's has been very encouraging. I love you still 😘😘
Vote and comment 😉😉