[48] Run Georgia Run

Start from the beginning

"Or what?"

"Or we'll play a little game of mine," he threatened.

They walked off, not willing to get into a fight with him. They shoved me back as they went.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Mohan told Mrs Maythorne about it later that night, long after the rest of us had gone to bed. I was secretly listening in, hiding behind the study door. 

The door had not opened fully and it was thanks to that crack, that I heard everything.

"Good. She needs to toughen up."

"It wasn't character building. That was bullying," Mohan argued.

I heard Mrs Maythorne sigh, "We're running out of time, Mohan. She resisted this for so long and soon there won't be much we can do to help her."

I backed away from the door where I had been eavesdropping. I turned around, ready to creep up the stairs to bed, when I bumped into someone's chest. 

It was Hugo.

"Snooping around, are we?"

I didn't bother denying it.

"Anything juicy then?" he asked.

I shook my head, "Apparently, we're running out of time."

"That we are," he said and went to the kitchen for a late-night dessert.

I went after him, "What's the deadline for?"

He put together a turkey sandwich, taking his time with the mayo and hot sauce.

He twisted the caps back on and asked me, "Do you think we have these inhuman gifts and we're just running around town to show cool party tricks?"

"I never thought about it. What are we meant to do?" I asked, "Fight bad guys?"

That's what all comic books say we should do.

He shook his head, sucking the sauce off his fingers, "No. We have a purpose."

"What is-"

The kitchen door opened and Zander walked in, "Oh, didn't realize it was a party."

"You want?" Hugo asked, raising his turkey in an offer to split.

"Nope, came for something hot to drink," he started opening the cabinets, pulling out tea bags and honey.

I sat by the kitchen counter, watching Hugo munch on his turkey sandwich and Zander stirring his tea with a silver spoon. This is not what I came here for.

"Hugo, you were saying," I urged him to continue.

Hugo looked over at Zander, "She's asking what specters do. Want to take this one?"

Zane rubbed his eyes and said, "I guess if you're going to freak out, it might as well be tonight," he pulled a stool next to me, "Georgia, we live on earth-"

"Well this isn't news," I muttered.

"Earth exists in a multiverse," Zane said, "A series of parallel universes separated a long time ago by a quantum event. People exist in these different worlds, living out time unbeknownst to them. Separated from but connected to each other, like humanity. These worlds are connected in small ways, and so are its people. We are a breed that can cross worlds. We can connect them."

"Or separate them," Hugo added, "When duty calls us to."

I tapped my fingers against the counter-top, "Sounds like science fiction."

"Is that what you call yourself then?" Zane asked me, "A piece of science fiction."

"I think of us more along the lines of Frankenstein," I retorted and sat back. "I hear what you're saying but I'll believe it when I see it."

"That's the thing. Not everyone succeeds. We are born with the potential to cross worlds but not all of us can."

"How do you know who can?"

"If you're alive on the other side, then you know," Hugo shrugged.

"That's a ridiculous way."

Are they really telling me that we are the link between worlds?  And that space travel or time travel or whatever it is, can only be survived by a few of us?

"Like you said, the whole thing's ridiculous," Hugo said, "And we don't have a choice. January 20 is the day we try. All of us."

"What if we don't want to?"

"We have to."

"Why?"

"That's something mum will have to explain to you," Hugo said, "But we're all going. And with the way your training's progressing, it doesn't look like you'll be able to make it."

"You mean..."

I stared at Hugo and at Zander. They both avoided my gaze. A lump clogged in my throat.

If I don't make it, I die?

"I'm going to sleep," Zander took his drink with him. He paused by me and touched my shoulder, "You'll find a way."

They left me in the kitchen and I sat there for a very long time. 

Just thinking, letting their words sink in. Nothing but the wind outside made any noise. 

Finally, I moved. I passed by the staircase, but I didn't go up to my room. I grabbed a protein bar from the refuel bowl and walked into the winter night - without a coat, without shoes. 

If I was going to survive, I would have to be strong.

A/N: This is the kind of chapter I call plot focused. A lot more was revealed about specters - is it what you expected?

Please vote if you enjoyed!