[16] Let's Leave

We gotta make a decision; we leave tonight or live and die this way - Tracy Chapman

Chapter 16: Let's Leave

Here I was, Monday morning, in school uniform. I stared at myself in the mirror of Jesper's room. We had slept in the same room last night. After everything that happened in the junkyard this weekend, I was too scared to be alone.

I looked at him in the reflection of the mirror. He was grimacing in pain as he put a shirt over his shoulders, still bandaged from the wound. He buttoned his shirt up slowly, covering up his bare chest and then took his tie.

"Shouldn't you tuck your shirt in?"

He looked up at me and raised an eyebrow, questioning my question. Then to appease me, he half tucked his shirt in. The back hung loose.

"Let's go to breakfast," he grabbed his blazer as well and switched the lights off.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"This was due today?" I asked Isla, staring at my empty math homework.

"You forgot?"

"Things have been busy at home," I said, thinking of my superhuman strength problem, the alien boys I live with, the ten dead people and the three new prison escapees.  "With moving in and everything," I quickly added.

"Oh yeah, and you missed the first week of school too. Here, this is my homework. You can copy it, but change some of the numbers. It'll be weird if we have the same mistakes."

"I'm already screwed in that class anyway."

We walked to our second class together. We had very similar schedules.

"Oh, I forgot to grab my books. I'll meet you there," I said, realizing I had left them in my locker.

"Are you always this scatterbrained?"

"Only on Mondays!" I replied and went off.

I guess this weekend had affected me more than I thought.

I stopped. Nathaniel was standing by his locker with half the girl's volleyball team around him. I hadn't expected to see him - I wasn't quite ready for it. The memory of our kiss was still fresh on my mind. And here he was flirting with the pretty girls in our school and in uniform like he was one of the normal boys. Except he wasn't.

"New girl," a boy called me out.

I pretended not to hear. New Girl was not the name on my birth certificate. 

"I'm being polite!" he came over and tried to take my hand, "My name's Miles."

I didn't trust this guy. I sensed creepy vibes from him. 

I pulled my hand away, "Do you want something, Miles?"

"A couple things. We can start with your number, your Friday night, your-"

I was going to stop him myself but he suddenly stopped himself. His face drained of color when his eyes landed on something behind me.

Then I heard the husky voice, "You won't make it to Friday if you finish that sentence."

Nathaniel.

"I didn't realize she was yours, man," Miles apologized.

"I'm not his," I said.

Nate leaned against the locker and smirked, "You've made that clear, Georgia."

I liked the way he said my name. The way it rolled over his tongue. I looked behind him at the girls he had left to come over.