Chapter Twenty-Eight : Part-One

Edited: 5-21-24

Daeus' POV

The air was somber as we approached our destination. The lights in the ship had been turned off to reduce being detected by the Krovlotts. Their mothership was much bigger than our transport ship and Raywr had detected much more heat signatures radiating from the ship than we'd anticipated. It was only us . . . only 8 of us, against all of them. We had little weapons, only what we are born with and what all ships carry for emergencies. But there was too much at stake for us to back out. The Krovlotts couldn't survive.

"Nearing docking station. The ship is located on the other side moon, nestled half inside the rock. If we dock slow and stay low, their scanners will not detect us." Deodiar informed me, standing beside me as we watched out the window as the large moon rose up from below us. Icicle and Newtiom talked back and forth as they focused the main controls of the ship, lowering it down slowly as a circling green light on a small screen indicated large objects in the area.

When the ship touched down, a small dark blue light turned on and the crew turned to me, waiting for instructions. "The plan isn't simple," I started, my voice cold and dark as I thought about what must happen for my Void to be safe in this world. "We don't know how many Krovlotts are on that ship, nor the things they've done. We don't know what types of weapons they have or the fighting abilities they possess."

"Way to get our hopes us, Daeus." Deodiar joked lightly and I gave her a small smile.

"But what we do know is what we can control. We do know how easy they are to kill. Our claws slice through Krovlott skin like paper and once you cut through their head, they die. But what we lack in number, we make up for in our resiliance and resistance to their attacks. Our weapons are not designed for a war and won't last long. Taking them straight on should be your last resort. Krovlotts are masters of overwhelming their enemies. If they get on top of you, you're gone. Keep your back guarded and don't split up. Going solo could get you killed." My heart ached as I thought of all the things that could go wrong. Our last encounter with the Krovlotts had been a peice of cake, but the mothership would be filled with the ones that knew how to protect theirselves. It would be filled with the ones that knew how to survive.

"Raywr and Yupo will stay behind with my bond. I understand that your Rasorine's are trained in combat so they'll be an excellent addition." With the knowledge of what needed to be done, I don't know if I could leave Void here, but I had to do it. I had to get rid of the vile creatures that mutilated him. "Don't make any reckless decisions. Use your height to your advantage. Krovlotts are shorter than even Void, but they are extremely wide. We are natural fighters, but it'll take everything in all of us to bring down what could be thousands upon that ship."

A sad tamber permeated the room and I could see the hesitation in the eyes of my team. They weren't trained in battle, but they were going to risk it all for me and my Bond. They were going to join me in taking down the Krovlotts.

"Midnight is upon us, Daeus. Let us set out before our presence becomes noticed." Deodiar brushed up against my side as she went to the door. Newtiom lowered the stairs and opened the hatch. The only thing great about this moon was that it supported lifeforms, but it couldn't support what lifeforms needed. No food, no water, just oxygen and miles and miles of barren wasteland. The toxicity in the ground was enough to kill off a full grown Ekhad if you were left stranded.

I let everyone go before me, but as I stepped down to the first step, I could sense Yupo's presence behind me. "Daeus," She whispered and my confidence dropped. How was I supposed to do this? I could be risking everything I loved just for my need for justice. Yupo met me in a hug and she buried her head in my neck. For a moment, everything was okay, but then a small whine broke us apart and I looked down at Void and tried to reel back my emotions. I couldn't worry him, I couldn't do that to him.

Bending down, I cupped his face in my hand. "I'll be back, Void. We'll get this problem handled and then you'll be free of fear. Nothing can ever hurt you again after tonight." I leaned forward and kissed the top of his head. "I love you more than anything and I will make this right. They all deserve to die for what they did to you."

"Daeus! We don't got all night! You'll see him again before you know it!" Deodiar's voice called faintly from the bottom of the stairs. I stood up and patted my Bond's head. I hope he could understand that I cared deeply for him. I hope he understood that without him I'd be nothing. He meant more to me than Yupo did, just like a Bond should and I was doing this for him. There was nothing I wouldn't do for him.

Pulling Yupo into one final hug, I prepared myself to go. "Please come back in one peice." She whispered, stepping back and taking Void's hand as he tried to run to me again. His big black eyes were watery and his lips were turned down in a pout. I wanted to stay, but I couldn't.

Quickly, I descended down the stairs and caught up to the others. Their rasorine's walked quietly beside their Ekhad and everyone was on edge.

Before we got to the ship, we all ducked behind on of the larger mounds of rock. Looking everyone in the eyes, I saw nothing but cold, hard determination and I smiled. I may have been stripped of half my division and everything I knew back home, but I'd gained a new family, one that was much bigger than my last. A family that would do anything even though I would have never asked them to.