Daughter of a moron

Steven Richards

After exiting from Zainav Fashions, I walk towards my car, entering in I bang the door of the backseat. Leaning on the backrest, I massage my temples. I hear the sound of the doors closing, both the driver and the passenger side.

"Drive home" I instruct Matt. I don't have any meetings for the rest of the day, so I decide to work from home.

The ride back home is silent until Polo decides to break it, "Boss, I am sorry to say this but what happened back there was not right," he says looking straight ahead.

Matt gives him a side glance, surprise evident on his face, then clearing his throat awkwardly, looks back on the road focusing on driving. I pinch the bridge of my nose, sighing; Polo who has respected and obeyed all that I have said without blinking his eyes, who has never questioned any of my decisions, was talking back at me!

"No one has asked for your opinion Polo," I say clenching my teeth.

I lean my elbows on my knee, head in my hands, with too much anger comes a splitting headache, this has always been the case with me.

The car ride falls silent again, Matt shuffles with the radio and puts on a slow song, maybe to make my headache feel better or maybe to shut Polo up. He knows both of us pretty well, in fact he had introduced Polo when I was looking for a bodyguard a year ago. His words start to play in my head, and I replay my actions, I had never spoken like that to any woman before, I don't know what had gotten into me, I had acted absolutely crazy, was I regretting my actions? No, they were at fault, they had mistreated Stell! I try to convince myself.

After a few minutes, Polo says again "Sir, I have four sisters and if anybody spoke like that with any of them, I would break their bones." I look up from my hands where my head rested, to see Polo looking at me from the rear view mirror, I glare at him through the mirror and before I could say anything Matt interjects "Boss, we're here!"

I look out the window to see, indeed we've reached, I open the door and get out of the car, not missing Matt screech at Polo "What the fuck, dude! Do you have a death wish?"

Entering the living room, I remove my jacket tossing it on the couch, unbutton my cuffs, folding the sleeves of my shirt I loosen the tie, sighing I sit on the couch. I can't help but think about what Polo said, all my harsh words and actions playing again and again in my head. Getting up from the couch I start pacing the living room, not able to stop the tornado of my actions in my head.

I move towards the bar and pour myself a drink, this will help me control my head from overthinking what's already done. I drink one glass after another not feeling anything. I have always been good at handling my drinks, not getting high easily, not because I am a regular drunkard or something, I just am good at handling my drinks. Stell feels that is a good thing, that I don't get drunk easily, but I think its not, you drink because you want to feel that high, that feeling of forgetting everything, even if its just for a few hours, I wanted the alcohol to hit me in a way that it took me to some place new or just put my overthinking mind to rest.

After almost an hour of just sitting there on the bar stool with the glass in my hand I hear Stell screaming from the entrance of the house "Steven, Steven where the hell are you?"

She called me Steven, it meant I am in trouble, "Stell I'm here." I call out to her as she enters the living room glaring at me, looking very angry. I lift one of my hands along with my shoulder motioning 'What?'

She looks at me incredulously "You're asking that to me, really?" she says coming closer to me. "Why do you have to do things that makes you regret later?"