Chapter 10

Lucy rushes at me and very quickly has my arms firmly clasped behind my back. "Ow ow ow ow! Please, I swear I didn't take anything from you!" She pulls out the coins I took from her pile and shoves them in my face. "Then how do you explain this?" I guess that's [Adept Swindling] for you. Although she does have me there. "Would you believe me if I said I earned those?" She looks at me like I just said I was a chair. "You expect me to believe something if you have to ask if its believable enough?"

"J, help me!" "Why bother? There is a very simple solution to this situation. Honestly, I'm enjoying this." "Who are you talking to? You have an accomplice don't you?" As I silence myself to concentrate on finding an answer to the predicament that I've gotten myself into, Lucy grips my arms harder. "Where is my baby? You better tell me now or your arms will no longer look right." At this point, I have tears in my eyes. What could she be talking about? Her baby? Oh, me. "[Adapt Species]"

My body transforms quicker than before and during the change, Lucy lets go. I quickly scurry away and try to hide. Under the couch will have to do since there is nothing else other than the currently blazing hot fireplace. I hear a gasp. "My baby?" Lucy walks closer and bends down to look at me underneath the couch. She stares at me for a good two minutes before she gasps again. "Your eyes changed again! You are my baby! I'm so glad you're back!" She reaches underneath to try and grab me but I take steps backward in order to avoid her grasp.

"What's wrong baby? I'm sorry, I guess I should call you Charlie now." At this point, I'm out from under the couch and she stands back up and walks around to the other side of it. In order to still avoid her, I step back faster and unfortunately step straight into the fireplace. I scream in pain and Lucy rushes for my distracted form and picks me up. "Are you okay Charlie?" I wiggle in her embrace, hoping she'll take the hint and let me down. "Okay, alright." She puts me on the opposite side of the couch she sits and we stare at each other with me ready to defend or bolt if I need to.

"Um, I'm sorry for blaming you for stealing, uh, you. What else was I supposed to think when a random lady walks into my home." I guess that's true. "Ah!" I look behind me at my tail to see it very singed at the tip. "Oh let me grab some water and you can put that in it for a little bit." Lucy stands up and walks to her room. After a few seconds of silence, she comes back with a small bowl in her hands and she sets in down on the couch in front of me. "Hopefully that will feel nice."

I take a look at the inside of the bowl to see it full of water as she said. I crawl over to the bowl, turn around, and stick my tail in. Relief is instant. Luckily only the hair on the tail was burnt and it didn't manage to reach actual skin. I take my soggy tail out and sit facing Lucy. We stare at each other for a few moments until I realize that I am quite parched after not drinking anything for all of today and most of yesterday. I again approach the bowl and remember how I've seen dogs drink water. I feel like I would look like a fool if I tried to do the same they do, plus I can't be certain that this is actually drinking water.

The only way to find out is to ask so I steel myself to be criticized and change, this time silently. Once its over, I make myself comfortable. "Is it drinkable?" When I don't get an answer I look towards her to see she is staring at me in fascination. "Hello?" This seems to snap her out of her trance as she jumps. "What?" I sigh. "Is the water drinkable?" She blinks. "Oh! Of course, drink up." Now that I have confirmation and opposable thumbs I grabbed the small bowl,  downed the water, and set it back down.

After another bout of silence and Lucy staring at me, I sigh again. "I'll just go." I stand up and start walking to the door. "Wait! Please wait." I stop in my tracks. "You said your name was Charlie, right? That's uh nice name." I stood in silence for a moment before looking over my shoulder to see a desperate look in Lucy's eyes as she clutches the back of the couch. I can tell she is trying to make it up to me. "What do you want from me?" My cold tone makes her seem slightly depressed.

The Inadequate Summoned Heroजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें