Chapter 6

"So, what are your names?" After the three foxes were given time to cope with what they didn't know I had accidentally done, I followed them as they ran in the same direction they were headed before.

"Quiet! We need the element of surprise." The suspicious one still would not stop glancing at me every few seconds. I am fairly certain that the only reason why he believed my story at all was because at the time I probably still smelled like a human somewhat even though my species was changed.

The smaller of the three fox pups who seems to be the one trying the hardest to keep up with the speed we are going runs next to me. "Our parents named me Benjamin but I prefer Ben. As you can see I was the last and the runt of the litter." His voice is almost in a whisper seeming like he is trying to not let the others know what he is saying. "The suspicious one is my older brother Jacob and my eldest brother Samuel is the one leading us."

"It's nice to meet you all Ben, my name is Charlie." I want to try to get on their good side if I'll be trying to help them until they leave their den. Hey, maybe I'll like being a fox and end up wanting to stay there. "Charlie is a really nice name, I like your eyes too." That really makes me wonder what I look like now. I never even got the chance to look at my new self since everything happened.

I take a good look at the eldest fox, Samuel. He seems like a standard fox in all ways. His fur is orange with a slightly bushy tail at his back. His front legs are black as coal and his hind legs are a brown similar to the bark of a tree. His underside is white and his eyes are round and as black as his front legs.

The middle pup, Jacob, looks almost the exact same but it looks as if the tip of one of his ears is missing. "Ben, what happened to his ear?" Looking at Ben, one can easily tell that he is the runt of the three. His entire coat of fur is still orange but looks a bit pasty. His front legs are black like his brothers' but his hind legs are the same color as the rest of his fur as well as his underside. His eyes are also the same color as his brothers'. Of course, he still has a bushy albeit small tail.

"He doesn't like to talk about it but that's the reason he is always suspicious. He was once a lot more trusting when he was way younger. I should just leave it at that I can't do this to him. When you get to know him he's really nice and he might tell you the story himself."

"I understand." I return my focus to running with my thoughts swirling. I never have to go back to civilization. I became a fox so I should be able to eat food raw and not have the usual consequences. Maybe my tastes have changed and it will actually taste good. What do I look like? Ben said he liked my eyes but what does that mean? I separate slightly from the three of them.

"J, what do I look like?" "You look like a fox." "I get that but what is different about me compared to a normal fox?" "You were a human, you died, and you are from a separate world. Need I go on?" "J, you know what I mean!" "Ugh, you're eyes change colors every few minutes, it's always random but colors repeat, there's only so many until getting into the shades and tints but then the colors are way too similar to each other. The color when they first saw you was purple and currently it is red." "Why didn't you tell me this would happen before?" "Trust me, it was happening long before you became a fox."

"Who are you talking to? I thought I told you to be quiet?" Jacob is glaring at me while running. I mumble a sorry before staying silent until they decide we've found something to munch on.

It doesn't take very long as they had already been chasing those weasels before I showed up. I figured we had caught up to them when Samuel slowed to a stop behind a bush. The other two had also already gotten behind the bushes while I was left wondering if I should try to help.