W-Wait [15]

It was lunch. Since everything was back to normal, the roof was empty. I walked around, trying to find someone I could accompany. Ichigo wasn't in school. Chad suddenly disappeared from classes. Ishida rushed out of the class every time the air felt funny. Orihime was with her regular group of girls.

I've hung out with them a few days earlier. They do sometimes talk to me, but most of the time I would be silently eating by the side. As I watch Chizuru flirt with Orihime and then Tatsuki hitting the raging lesbian on the head. I thought about flirting with Chizuru. By flirting, I mean giving her a compliment.

But who am I kidding? She was clearly distracted by the curvy goddess sitting near her.

I plopped myself under a tree as I took small bites from my onigiri. My fingers drummed against the book I had on my lap. My mind was blank. There was nothing for me to think about. I sighed, finishing my onigiri. I picked up the Eleanor & Park book I was reading off my lap. I stared at the cover, squinting my eyes.

The book was about romance. Something I shouldn't think about.

I placed the book aside, looking at it. "Can't believe I read that when I was 10," I mumbled. "You did?" someone asked. I looked up, seeing Uryu standing in front of me, looking at the book. I nervously laughed, looking away from him, "Yup," I answered, "I borrowed it from a friend. And then 4 years later I decided to get the book for myself."

He sat beside me, fiddling with the book. I laughed a little, "I used to enjoy the book..." I muttered, "But now I know better, the book is..." I paused, looking for the words, "The book indeed gave me feelings, but the fact the description of Park sounded... racist." I looked over to Uryu who was flipping through the book.

"I've heard about this book," he said, reading the back of the book, "I've heard it fetishized the Asian characteristics of Park," he muttered, placing the book down. I nodded, "It kinda did now that I think about it," I let out a nervous laugh, "I should throw this book away," I tapped on the cover.

I cupped my face, staring to the front. I looked over at Uryu, "What book are you reading?" The light blue of the cover caught my eyes. A smile came onto my lips, "The Fault in Our Stars?" I nearly laugh out loud. "I didn't take you as someone who reads romance," I laughed a little, shaking my head.

He adjusted his glasses as he hid the book behind him, "W-Well, it's the only book I haven't read on my shelf," he muttered. "It slightly romanticizes an illness, but I think the book is alright," he said, "It's a little sad."

I blinked, "A little sad? You haven't finished the book, right?" I asked.

"I haven't," he answered.

"You got a storm coming."

He laughed, which made me relaxed a little. He shook his head, a smile on his lips, "I'll be ready for it then," he said, picking up the book. I looked over his shoulder to check which page he was reading. I took my book into my hands, "I should give this away," I muttered, "Or maybe sell it off online," I fiddled with the cover which was clean and well-taken care of despite the years it had been through.

I heard Uryu sobbing beside me. I turned my head, seeing a few tears coming out of his blue eyes. I patted my back, "There there," I said in a soft tone. "This is a cliché!" he said, placing the book on his lap. He turned to me with teary eyes, "Why is it making me cry?!" he asked, looking confused and sad.

The corners of my lips quirked up, "Cliché sells," I said. 

"This was written to purposely make the readers cry!" he said, sounding a little angry. 

"And it worked," I commented. 

He wiped his tears, "What I meant is, this was written to make the readers cry rather than letting the story play," he sobbed, "It's horrible to do that."

"I can't believe you're ranting through tears."

"Well, I'm angry at it!" he closed the book, "I much rather read a book that tells the story smoothly."

"You shouldn't read the stories I write then," I mumbled, laughing a little at my statement.

"You... write?" 

"Yeah..." I answered, "But I'm a rookie, so I'm pretty bad at it."

"I'm still interested to know what kind of books you write," he was still sobbing.

I smiled a little, handing him a small pack of tissues. "I'm trying to write fantasy," I said, "And also I like giving my book a tragic ending," I muttered, bringing my knees closer to my chest, "Not for the purpose to make my readers cry. It just..." I placed my chin on my knees, "I don't know, I just like doing that." 

A paused, "Oh, I sound like a monster saying that."

Uryu calmed down a little, "Well, everyone has their preference," he said. He placed his book on top of mine, "And this goes into the disposal with your book," he muttered. I gave out a light laugh, "Should we burn it or throw it into the river?" I asked. "I can put an arrow through it," he said. I shook my head, the smile on my lips getting wider.

I looked at my watch, "Lunch is nearly over," I said, grabbing my book. I got up and straightened my skirt. Uryu stood up with me, his book in his hand. We walked to class side-by-side. "Ishida-Kun," I said, "What club are you in?"

"Handicrafts club," he said with a hint of pride in his voice.

I raised a brow, "So you can sew?" I asked. He nodded. I slowly nodded. "Well, if I have some clothes that need to be repaired, I can call you, eh?" I joked, giving him the finger guns. And then realizing how awkward it looked, so I quickly put them away.

"What about you?" he asked, "What club are you in?"

"Literature," I muttered, scratching the back of my head, "It doesn't sound interesting, I know."

"I heard from Orihime you can write poems?" he asked.

I laughed nervously, "They aren't special. I think they're really bad, half of the time I don't even know what I'm doing."

"You belittling yourself too much," he said, "You should take pride in what you do. I can tell you have potential."

"You haven't even read any of my works yet!"

"I just have a feeling," he smiled.

I laughed, shaking my head, "Alright, Quincy boy."