$ F I F T Y • T H R E E $

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Bernacelli laid a kiss on Xavier's forehead before she gave one to Vera as well. "I'll be back, dear. I'm going to go prepare dinner for later. Love you."

They both replied, "Love you, too."

Mrs. Bernacelli's eyes fell on me as she smiled. "Ezio, may we have a little chat as we walk to the kitchen?"

I nodded as I stood up, my hand leaving Vera's back.

I followed Mrs. Bernacelli out of Xavier's bedroom before she closed his door.

She continued to walk down the elegantly decorated hallway with no word. I felt intimidated as she didn't turn her head once.

"I'm aware of how you've treated my daughter in the past." She spoke into the air, interrupting the silence. My eyes widened in panic as I clenched my jaw.

She stopped walking before she turned to look at me. "But I can see you have new intentions."

She resumed walking as a moment later we arrived in the kitchen. "I can tell you are a changed man, and I'd like to know what you are up to."

She crossed her arms as she raised her eyebrow as she was inspecting my next move.

"I already see you are infatuated by her, completely smitten, but she's giving you none other than mixed signals."

I sighed deeply as I took a seat. "I-I don't know what came over me, but I—" I began.

"—You're in love." Mrs. Bernacelli stated. I looked up at her with widened eyes. "How do you know when you're in love?" I asked, feeling lost.

She laid her palm over her heart. "You just know. When you start thinking here—" then she pointed towards her head. "—instead of here."

My eyes dropped to my clasped hands resting on the counter. My jaw taut as all I could think of was Vera, the mother of my soon-to-be child, the one who's taken over my mind and heart.

"I see the good in you, Ezio. It may take time for men like you to realize what you're capable of, and to see what is right from wrong, but you aren't too late. Understand what I'm meaning?" Mrs. Bernacelli asked. I nodded with furrowed eyebrows, attempting to figure out where she was leading with this.

She took a seat next to me. "I know what is best for my daughter. I went through a similar thing when I was her age. I was conflicted over her father, yet here I am, not regretting my decision by marrying the love of my life."

She smiled as she seemed to reminisce of the memory.

"That is why I'm going to help you." She finished, looking back at me.

I felt my heart drop as my eyes widened. "Y-you are?"

She nodded as she wore a small grin, observing my reaction. "As I said, I know what is best. There just has to be a little push." She added with a wink.

I let out a chuckle as I unbelievably tried to process. "I don't know what to say. Thank you, Mrs. Bernacelli." I said, a smile growing on my face.

She waved me off. "No need for a thank you, dear. It's time for me to see her happy. She hasn't had a good experience with love before, but I have a strong feeling she will now." She smiled as she got up from her seat.