Part I - Chapter 11

Börja om från början

Slowly, Chun Chu understood what the Queen was trying to tell him. She would use this incident to go after those who perpetrated this fake prophesy but she would make sure that they answered not only for the crime of fraud but for something more serious and punishable by death. She knew who the culprits were and she would do everything in her power to expose them. And she was after blood.

Later, Lord Chun Chu learned from Jukbang that when the Queen returned to the Palace she had immediately ordered all the nobles and courtiers called to an emergency meeting. Her Majesty had also ordered Lord Yong Chun to conduct a thorough investigation on the Gurahwa incident, instructing him to use everything at his disposal to expose the culprits behind this unforgivable act of treason.  

Although satisfied that Her Majesty had finally decided to purge Bidam’s treacherous followers he was disappointed when he learned that the Sangdaedeung was not present during the meeting.

Frustrated by Her Majesty’s continued protection of Bidam, Chun Chu decided to take action and confront Bidam himself. He asked Jukbang to prepare his men and head out to Bidam’s house.  They were immediately received by an accommodating though thoroughly surprised Sangdaedung.

            “Lord Chunchu, I am glad that you were not seriously harmed during the attack at Gurahwa county,” Bidam said, genuinely concerned for the young royal who used to be under his tutelage.

            “Were you not the one who ordered the assassination attempt on me?” Chun Chu said, closely observing Bidam’s reaction.

            Bidam was surprised by his blatant accusation.

            “It seems only natural, isn’t it? Your mother, Mishil, had my mother killed and now her son is trying to do the same to me. Do you think I would just sit idly by and let it happen again?” Lord Chun Chu, his voice betraying the hatred he’d long held in check.

            “I don’t know what you mean, Lord Chun Chu. How could I even conjure up such a dastardly act?” Bidam replied, trying hard to control his own outrage.

            “I know of your secret covenant with Her Majesty. It seems like it’s not going to work, though,” he said. Bidam did not reply, but he saw the astonishment that crept into his eyes.

            “Well, then, should we just talk like we used to, without the formalities?” Chun Chu said, smiling at Bidam.

            Bidam nodded in confirmation.

            “You know, I have a secret. Should I tell you what it is?” he asked.

Bidam just stared at Chun Chu, confused and unsure of the young royal’s intentions.

            “My secret is this: My mind is quick but my body is slow and clumsy. That’s why people often think that I am simpleminded and stupid. But the truth is, I analyze everything and I never ignore the small details. For example, did you ever wonder why Donaembo Rang[1] disappeared?” he said, smiling impishly at Bidam.

            Bidam wondered if it was a genuine question or an implied threat. He just looked at Chun Chu and remained silent.

Chun Chu smiled, sure that no answer from the other man would be forthcoming. “Well then, thank you for a very interesting conversation, Lord Bidam,” he said and prepared to leave.

Bidam shook his head, bewildered by the young man’s actions. “You really have matured a lot. I remember the time when you used to tremble at the mere sight of me,” Bidam said, laughing quietly.

            Chun Chu sat back on his chair and faced Bidam, smiling.

            “Yes. You were once quite an intimidating figure.” he agreed.

            “Why?” Bidam asked.

            “Well, because back then, it was hard to guess your next move. You were mysterious and unpredictable. Naturally, fear followed for isn’t it true that fear is the by-product of the unknown? But somehow, you have lost your edge. You have become transparent and I can read you like a book,” Chun Chu said, the thinly-veiled resentment evident in his tone.

            “What did you say?”

            “You have become blinded with love! You have failed to see the threat your followers posed on you and you have failed to control them! You have lost your focus because of your frantic devotion for Her Majesty! Why, did you really think that Her Majesty has feelings for you?”

            Bidam was stunned and left speechless, his mind desperately trying to gauge the truth of the young man’s words. He was so lost in his own chaotic thoughts that he did not even notice Chun Chu getting up and leaving the room.

            After instructing his guards to take him back to the Palace, Chun Chu glanced back at Bidam’s direction, somewhat saddened by his deed. Forgive me, Bidam. I know that you had nothing to do with the Ashoka doctrine, nor was there any attempt on my life. I also know that you and Her Majesty have genuine feelings for each other. However, you are becoming too much of a hindrance to the aspirations of this nation so you and your followers must disappear. Your relationship with Her Majesty is too dangerous to leave alone.  Forgive me, Bidam, but there really is no place in the pages of history for a man driven by love...   

[1] Lord Misaeng’s son, responsible for the death of Chunchu’s mother, Princess Cheonmyeong