Part 2 - Chapter 9

Kim Yushin stood at the main gate of the mountain fortress surveying the damage that the siege had brought. The bodies of dead rebels and loyal soldiers of the Queen's army alike were lined up side-by-side on the bloody ground just outside the fortress walls. They are awaiting the arrival of the carts that would transport them back to Seorabol for proper burial. The sad view reminded him of the harsh reality of war – no one really wins it, both sides suffer for it. Death is the great equalizer, afterall, and no one ever escapes it. And war, no matter how brief, only magnifies this truth. He shook his head at the senselessness of it all.

He'd been a soldier – a warrior – all his life and he'd seen the havoc that war brought countless times, yet it never failed to sadden him. Perhaps one never really gets used to death, no matter how many times one witnesses it. What was especially tragic about the death of these soldiers was the fact that they were all victims of the misguided ideologies of their own countrymen. They never should have died at the hands of people they shared the same blood with, people who'd probably even been neighbors at one time or another. It was just such a waste! And that's why the leaders who perpetrated this mutiny must be made to suffer the stiffest penalty – they must pay with their lives. Yushin believed that the higher an officer's rank is, the greater the responsibility, and the greater the accountability.

The last of the rebel officers had been rounded up and they were now being led outside the fortress, their hands tied behind their backs, all weapons and vestiges of their rank confiscated. Lined up in front were the former generals and captains of the Queen's army and the Royal Inspectorate, Lords Jujin, Ho Jae, Pil Tan and Seulbu, closely followed by their lieutenants, loyal foot soldiers and retainers. Yushin knew that all of them, regardless of rank, would share the same fate and it left a bitter taste in his mouth. These men would've lived productive lives, would've contributed to the growth and prosperity of their kingdom, they would've shared in the future glory of Silla but they wasted their lives chasing selfish aspirations. Yet, somehow he felt pity for them.

I must be getting old, to feel even a tiny flicker of compassion for these traitors!  Yushin reprimanded himself.

Just as he was about to mount his horse to lead the march back to Seorabol, Im Jong and Deuk Chung came running out of the fortress to report to him.

"General, there is no sign of Mi Saeng, Bo Jong and Ha Jong. We just came from the North Gate and no one had seen them there either," Im Jong said.

"Have you searched all the buildings inside?" Yushin asked.

"Yes, General. My men had just finished with their rounds and did not find them either." Deuk Chung replied.

"What about Bidam? Has anyone seen him?"

"He's also unaccounted for."

"They must have slipped out in the confusion of the rounding up. Question their men and see if they know anything. And try to search for hidden passages. They could've dug up a secret tunnel or something. If you still don't find them there, tell your men to widen the search area to include Yangsan and Muhwasan," Yushin instructed the two men.

"Yes, General," the two men replied in unison before they bowed and turned back to where they came from.

Yushin called one of his captains and put him in charge of the march to Seorabol. He could not leave just yet, not until Bidam had been caught and brought to justice. His blood turned cold as he thought of the man he once called friend.

Bidam, I swear to you that I will not rest until you have paid for what you've done. You must answer for your crimes against Silla and Her Majesty. But most importantly, you must answer to me! You promised never to hurt her but what you've done here is crushing her heart. If I have to kill you with my own bare hands, I will do it. And THAT is my promise to you!