Part 2 - Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

Inside the Queen’s chambers, the Royal Physician took the Queen’s pulse, an unmistakable apprehension clouding his face. He looked up and caught Lord Al Cheon’s eye. He slowly shook his head and conveyed to Lord Al Cheon that the Queen’s condition was getting worse and already beyond help.

            “Your Majesty,” the Royal Physician said. He felt a choking pain as he concluded that there was nothing more that he could do for the Queen. The Queen looked up at him and smiled.

            “You need not worry about me. You have done everything that you can. You may leave now,” she said.

            “But Your Majesty,” said the Royal Physician, reluctant to leave the Queen’s side in her condition.

            “It’s alright. You have done your best. You may go.” the Queen insisted.

            The Royal Physician bowed before her and left the room, anguish written on his old, wrinkled face. He had grown fond of this strong-willed woman and he felt miserable knowing that her illness was something he could not treat. He took a last glance at the Queen; afraid that this could be the last time that he would be able to see her alive.

            Lord Al Cheon felt infuriated at his helplessness. He’d rather be anywhere but in this room as he could not bear to see the Queen suffer like this yet he could not leave her in this condition. It’s as if he was being forced to watch her fade away right before his very eyes. If there was anything that he could do, if he could just give up his life to make her live, he would do so without reservation. But since it was not utterly beyond his control he had to contend himself with making her last remaining days as comfortable as possible.

            Deep inside, he nurtured a burning hatred for Bidam. He knew that the stand-off between him and the Queen had aggravated her condition.

Is he not aware of the pain this is inflicting on Her Majesty? How could he betray her trust like this?

What pained him more was the fact that although the Queen had already declared Bidam an enemy of the state thereby ordering his arrest and execution in the process, he knew that deep inside the Queen still loved the errant man. And the indictment of Bidam, which she only gave out of obligation, was evidently slowly killing her. 

As Lord Al Cheon looked at the Queen with deep concern, Lord Yushin entered and asked to speak with her.  Upon hearing his voice the Queen sat up on her bed and gestured for him to come forward.

            “Don’t get up, Your Majesty. Please just lie down and rest. I only came to see how you are doing,” Lord Yushin said.

            “It’s okay. I’m really getting tired of just lying in bed. It makes me feel weak and lightheaded,” the Queen answered.

            “When did this ailment start, Your Majesty? Why did you not tell me?” Lord Yushin asked, confused and hurt that she did not share the truth of her illness with him.

            “I made Lord Al Cheon and the Royal Physician promise to keep my condition a secret. We’re on war-footing all the time and I don’t want our enemies to take advantage of the situation,” the Queen explained.

            “But you should have at least told me. When did you learn about your condition?” Yushin asked.

The Queen smiled at him but did not reply. After a while, she looked at the far distance and in a soft voice began to narrate a dream she once had.