Part I - Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

The Queen was surprised when Chun Chu, Al Cheon and Yushin came back to her chambers. She was even more surprised by her nephew’s news.

            “Your Majesty, we have been informed that Lord Bidam went to Jo Won Palace to meet with the chief envoy,” Chun Chu said.

            “What? Is this true, Chief Al Cheon?” asked the Queen.

            “Yes, Your Majesty. One of my men came to me and informed me that His Excellency had been insisting on seeing Su Ji Yan,” answered Al Cheon.

            “Then, why did you let him? Did I not give specific instructions that no one, regardless of rank, must be allowed to meet with them?” she asked.

            “I gave permission,” said Chun Chu.

            “Why?” the Queen asked.

            “To help you decide. Doesn’t this prove his guilt?” Chun Chu replied.

            The Queen glared at his nephew, irritated at the young man’s insinuation that, when it involved Bidam, she was incapable of remaining impartial. Just as Her Majesty was contemplating on how to reprimand her ward the Palace guard announced Lord Bidam’s request for an audience.  The three men looked at the Queen, awaiting her reply. The Queen remained silent as she tried to contemplate on how to handle what was fast becoming a very volatile situation.

            “Your Majesty,” Yushin said, breaking the tense silence inside the chamber.

            “I will personally deal with him, Your Majesty,” Al Cheon volunteered as he started to rise.

            The Queen did not answer, clearly debating with herself. Al Cheon stood up to confront Bidam himself when the Queen abruptly spoke and stopped him.

            “No, let him enter,” she said. 

            Al Cheon was about to advise the Queen otherwise but upon seeing her clouded expression thought better of it and reluctantly commanded the guard to admit the Sangdaedung. Chun Chu smiled smugly, sure that Her Majesty was already convinced of Bidam’s treachery and would finally accuse him of treason. Yushin, on the other hand, remained silent, evidently apprehensive about Her Majesty’s intentions.

            Bidam briskly walked in. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the three men in attendance. He had hoped to speak with Her Majesty alone and cursed himself for not having the foresight to ask the guard if she had any company before having his presence announced. Now, it was too late to back out.  Whatever he had to say, he must contend himself with saying it in front of them all. He swallowed his remaining pride and took his appointed seat at the left hand side of the Queen. The air was thick with unspoken tension and Bidam could tell that they already knew of his forced meeting with the Tang envoy, if not the deadly message concealed by the Ouseun. He wanted to blurt out the truth but he did not know where to begin. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead when the Queen casually took the Ouseun and presented it to him.

            “The chief envoy, Su Ji Yan, wanted you to have this,” she said. Bidam could feel all eyes on him, watching his every move.

            “I think they are trying to bribe you. They obviously want to get your support in ousting..”

            “Your Majesty,” Bidam said, interrupting the Queen.

            “Yes?” she asked. Dare I hope that he is innocent?